pitch p. head start in the greenhouse

*tree*

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I put some 1 year old pitch pines to the green house in late february. They are growing nicely but it's already getting really hot in here. Yesterday, it went up to 37C (on sun in the height of the foliage) inside when it was 20C outside (in shade). So should I move them out or do they still grow under these conditions?

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
According to Wikipedia, pitch pines grow from Maine to Georgia in the US:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_rigida

If Czechia's climate is within that range (which I think it is) you can move them out. I am in Maryland and keep pitch pines outside all year with no protection. The temperature dropped to -6C in January and gets into the 30s in the summer. They are fine.

Last edited:

*tree*

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am not too concerned about frost, I want to keep them in the greenhouse for as long as possible because I kind of neglected them in their first year (last year) and I want to get some good mature growth this year. I have. pretty cold spring and the average daily high is below 70F till june 1st. But scots pine for example tends to stop growing when its too hot so I would like to know if that's the case with pitch p. as well.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am not too concerned about frost, I want to keep them in the greenhouse for as long as possible because I kind of neglected them in their first year (last year) and I want to get some good mature growth this year. I have. pretty cold spring and the average daily high is below 70F till june 1st. But scots pine for example tends to stop growing when its too hot so I would like to know if that's the case with pitch p. as well.
Most temperate zone trees stop growing in the highest heat of summer. 37C = 98F. If the greenhouse is staying above 90 most of the day, the trees will probably shut down and stop growing.

I think you're risking killing them keeping them in an environment that is getting those temperatures

Top Bottom