Plan a Trip for Horseloverfat

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Horesloverfat This autumn, for our trip, we are planning on camping at a state park in every state on the way to FL. Taking a day to "take in" what the parks/surrounding locations have to offer :) Get a better feel for these areas individually.

Following up on a post in a thread, lets plan a trip for @HorseloverFat (Leo 2) or the (other Leo) . He will be travelling to Florida in autumn, from Green Bay Wisconsin, and I'd like someone from each state along any of the several possible routes to suggest state parks with camping facilities to suggest parks to stop at for views.

For example, if I were driving, I would be coming down from Green Bay Wisc. Depending on how restless the kiddies were, first stop might be Indiana Dunes State Park if I could arrange a reservation (the park is often maxed out for capacity) or Tippecanoe River State Park, east of Renssalaer, Indiana.

If HorseloverFat were to detour west using Interstate 57 to go south instead of I-65, I would suggest stopping at either Heron Pond Natural Area, camping at Cache River State Natural Area, home of the 1300 year old bald cypress, oldest baldie in Illinois. Or I-57 to I-24 and camping at Garden of the Gods, east of Harrisburg, IL near the IL-KY border.

So those are my suggestions. Please suggest sights you would want to see on the way down from Green Bay to south Florida.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
While in Indiana, near Bloomington there are several caves. If the kids have never seen a cave, you might want to take them there. Buckner's cave may or may not be open to the public. Salamander cave is another "beginner cave" that is in the immediate area of Bloomington. I believe Salamander is on State land, so access, is available if safe. Flooding is always an issue with caves and preventing the spread of white nose disease in bats has closed a number of caves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If coming down I-95 and stopping in North Florida fits your plans, Fort Clinch State Park. It's just a few miles across the GA/FL state line. It has beach sites and sites in the woods. It's near some of the nicest beaches in FL on Amelia Island, and 2 miles from downtown Fernandina Beach, which happens to have a ton of interesting history. Book your site now if you can. Next best would be Little Talbot Island. There are many, many options around here. My wife and I camp often.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since all I know about @HorseloverFat is that they like trees, my recommendation would be to follow a route that goes across Michigan’s upper peninsula. If you’re a rock hound, a stop at the Seaman Mineral Museum in Houghton is worthwhile. Kitch-iti-kipi is really cool (crystal clear and very deep natural spring). Tahquamenon Falls is spectacular. If you’re a history buff, Fort Michilimackinac and/or Mackinac Island are cool places to visit. Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake state parks are nice parks to camp at in the upper part of the lower peninsula. The Flower Market in Monroe/Dundee is a noteworthy place to visit for the bonsai enthusiast.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you pass through western NC, Joyce Kilmer memorial forest has to be on the list. It is a must for any tree lover. There’s not any camping there but there is a trail that wonders through a grove of virgin forest full of old growth hardwoods that are absolute massive. It is a very spiritual place

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For the first camping stop, I second @Leo in N E Illinois for his idea of Garden of the Gods recreation area near Herod Illinois. There are some fantastic moss-covered rocks and neat rock formations there. It’s about 8 hours away, so a pretty good distance to make in a day and still set up a tent.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@HorseloverFat stop by us in Milwaukee if you’re coming down 43! If you and the family are looking for a casual lunch spot that supports our parks, stop by Estabrook Park or Sourh Shore Park for the biergarten and lake views. Shoot me a message if you’d like to meet up, first round of cheese curds on me 👍

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If coming down I-95 and stopping in North Florida fits your plans, Fort Clinch State Park. It's just a few miles across the GA/FL state line. It has beach sites and sites in the woods. It's near some of the nicest beaches in FL on Amelia Island, and 2 miles from downtown Fernandina Beach, which happens to have a ton of interesting history. Book your site now if you can. Next best would be Little Talbot Island. There are many, many options around here. My wife and I camp often.
I second for clinch, and if you go there go ahead and hit nearby boneyard Beach

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If the kids have never seen a cave, you might want to take them there.
I will get around to a couple St Pk ideas from our state in another post,
but with the mention of St Pk and caves...Carter Caves in Carter County Ky
I-64 between Lexington and Ashland in Eastern Ky has some good spelunkin'.
It's an hour drive or so from here, so my folks used to take the camper down
for a quick get away often throughout the Summer. Bat cave is guided only
but there are several good tour guided and unguided caves down there.
Very family friendly, clean campground, cheesy cabins, put put golf, horseback riding,
horse shoes, right next to the campground. Like directly across the low traveled 2 lane road.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nothing to see south of Indiana we’ve already got more Yankees then we need.
Spoken like a colonist!

HAHAHA!!

;)

(This is MY america!)

😂😂

((Plus.. I was born in the midlands (VA))) So even my "white-guy half" isn't a Yankee))

Just rustlin yer spuds right back.

Top Bottom