Pre fab bench

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know a good value on decent looking prefabricated bench for my trees? I just moved to a community in S.C. with an HOA and I don’t want to start setting off complaints.
Eventually I wouldn’t rule out building something, but looking for a quick fix during the chaos of un-packing.

Thank you!
MFP7661E12E-F56A-4696-8B54-37CD437A01FD.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a couple of trestle table legs from IKEA. Cheap, and all you need is a plank of wood to make any size bench you want.

I trawl FB marketplace/Craigslist for cheap outdoor patio table/seating benches. Don't know if the HOA will care about hilariously mismatched furniture though.

I think the first thing would be to read the stupid CC&R's before even buying something seeing that you have a metal "decorative" fence. If you had a wood fence I would say anything that don't protrude above the fence is game, but in your case, they may have specific style or colors you have to abide by.

I think the first thing would be to read the stupid CC&R's before even buying something seeing that you have a metal "decorative" fence. If you had a wood fence I would say anything that don't protrude above the fence is game, but in your case, they may have specific style or colors you have to abide by.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I noticed there is a rule against more than three “flower pots,” and I am prepped to say: “ these are not flower pots, they are bonsai pots.” But, neighbors have more than three flower pots, and some even have rather elaborate paver blocks gazebo/patio type things for grilling etc, so over time I am sure I can come up with something that works. I just want something quick to minimize likelihood of complaints out of the gate.
I like the trestle legs idea, and think I found some on wayfair that might fit the bill.

Yikes! HOAs and my bonsai life are NOT compatible! Maybe a bamboo/reed grass privacy screen around the patio (if allowed).

Good Luck!
We can put in a privacy fence as needed, just not looking to shell out for that at the moment.
HOA is not ideal, but we are 12 min from the beach with great schools for the kids.

Myrtle Beach, not far from Murrells Inlet.

I have a couple of my nicer Tsuga under care with a NVBS member, and a few less developed trees to sample how they handle the climate down here.

While not getting on the bad side of the HOA is a good enough reason to get your trees off the ground, it's also really nice to have trees resting at or close to display height in their normal environment. Being able to see my trees properly without bending down or picking them up is pretty nice!

I've been thinking about getting this stand, especially once I build out more of a colltection of small trees:

I'm currently using some bamboo shoe racks...they're okay but the drainage could be better and they're fairly low.

I went with @AshleyMammal ‘s suggestion, but from wayfair. I got two pair of legs, one 2/3 the size of the other. I’m still gathering supplies to put the two benches together, but encouraged. I’ll need some bungees as the afternoon thunderstorms get pretty gusty around here.

Attachments

• IMG_6791.jpeg
    IMG_6791.jpeg
    375.3 KB · Views: 62
I picked up some fake wood to it my benches together with. I think I need to cut them a bit shorter so they don’t sag. The drilling and bolting will be fun too.
Did I mention I am about the least “handy” person you’d ever meet?

Attachments

• IMG_6887.jpeg
    IMG_6887.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 58
I picked up some fake wood to it my benches together with. I think I need to cut them a bit shorter so they don’t sag. The drilling and bolting will be fun too.
Did I mention I am about the least “handy” person you’d ever meet?
you’ll probably want a piece attached to the bottom on edge as a stiffener. Trex deflects a lot, I generally dislike it as a building material

You are definitely going to need something beneath that to keep the boards from bending. When I replaced my wood deck composite they recommended joists (supports) 12 inches apart. Granted that is for walking on. You could probably get away with another set of table legs and maybe space them 3 feet apart and see how it holds up.

Back
Top Bottom