Privet, can I root prune now? (spring buds have already opened)

nairb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm wondering if I can root prune my privet now? (here in Italy the spring buds have already opened out)
The reason is I noticed that the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot and I have a lot of pale green leaves, some new shoots/buds have not really extended at all and the tree just does not seem to be happy with no new growth happening. Normally it grows really rigorously so I'm guessing that it has become rootbound. Should/could I root prune or should I just wait it out until next spring?

thanks

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I won't do it now...this is the worst time IMHO. If you must, let the leaves harden, maybe wait 2-3 months then re-pot. The tree should have "re-charged" by then and Privet is also very tough so should be safe at that time. Of course waiting until next year is safer. It really depends on how bad the condition now is.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience privet can take just about anything. The problem is usually how to kill it (invasive in many areas) rather than what care it needs...

nairb

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks guys, I think I will err on the side of caution and wait until next year before doing any root pruning. I think I'll just do some wiring on it and let it be, the new growth is slow but it is coming along slowly but surely.

Top Bottom