Procumbens Nana and Cedar Apple Rust

Shamino

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While I've tended my bonsai trees for years, I consider myself a newbie concerning various trees and bonsai techniques in general. I have moved from Massachusetts to Maine recently and a couple of my retired neighbors are interested in developing a tree this spring. I'm leaning towards doing a Procumbens Nana with them because of its availability in local nurseries and its durability. My hesitation though, is Cedar Apple Rust. When I was in MA, I lived in an area dotted with old apple trees and had awful experiences with Nana and Cedar Apple Rust...treated it with surface and systemic fungicides but couldn't control it and the trees eventually died. The area I live in now is wooded, and an old grown in apple orchard with stands of native cedar. I'm hesitant about Nana because of this. Any advice out there about Nana and Cedar Apple Rust?

Either you have no junipers, or deal with the rust.
Trichoderma viride and harzanium seem to be OK bioprotectors to prevent infections, and organisms like pseudomonas fluorescens can help fortify that protection. All those are commercially available, albeit in limited sense to consumers.
They also require multiple applications per year.

To my knowledge there are no systemics that cure it, just the ones that slow it down. And those also tend to work against the organisms I mentioned.

It has never seemed to bother my Shimpaku (Juniperus Chinensus)...but seems to attack Nana with a vengeance.

Back
Top Bottom