Procumbens Nana Progression

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
Procumbens Nana from Brussel's. I got it this summer and thought I wanted to make it a bunjin so I cut the bottom branches off then proceeded to jin and shari. I wanted something to do today and noticed that the shari is rolling over already and it seemed pretty happy so I decide to work on it again. I changed my mind about the bunjin potential on it and several hours later, wound up with this.

picture 1: before
2: after
3: in between

Attachments

• $_57-2.jpg
    $_57-2.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0096-2.jpg
    IMG_0096-2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 249
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
Great movement in the trunk! I'd enjoy seeing a few more pictures, if you're able to take some more from different angles.

I repotted it today and decided to change the front ant planting angle, the pot is not right for it but it's the best one I had. In the future, it will go in a smaller shallower pot.

Attachments

• 10696359_10152473140687686_1649056676500464445_n.jpg
    10696359_10152473140687686_1649056676500464445_n.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 152
I like what you've done, but it was much more dynamic in the angle it was in when you finalized styling it.

I like this tree alot. I think it has good movement. great job.

Rick

I like what you've done, but it was much more dynamic in the angle it was in when you finalized styling it.

I agree. But... The awesome dynamic trunk line is hidden behind the foliage in the original design. I had to make a sacrifice to be able to display the trunk line and Shari. Plus the Jin is more visible at this angle. Just a note, I wound up angling it further right.

Nana's are pretty tough but I must say that's a lot of work on that plant in a few months time. Major Jin and trimming and repotting plus root trimming it down from that nursery can into a Bonsai pot may be hard if not fatal to it. Good luck with it.

ed

Nana's are pretty tough but I must say that's a lot of work on that plant in a few months time. Major Jin and trimming and repotting plus root trimming it down from that nursery can into a Bonsai pot may be hard if not fatal to it. Good luck with it.

ed

The only thing I am nervous about is the repotting. It had roots run down the side and along the bottom but nothing in the middle. By the time I took it down enough to repot into a grow box it was close enough to put into a pot so I wound up taking off a little extra. It shouldn't be a big deal but certainly not something I'd do regularly.

This is how it will stay for at least another year

Attachments

• 10520469_10152474695407686_1486565774_n.jpg
    10520469_10152474695407686_1486565774_n.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 103
Thanks for posting. Nice tree.

I am instinctively with those who prefer the initial front and planting angle. I think that angle showcases the trunk and allows foliage to create a bit of a "peek a boo" effect. That being said the current angle is nice too. My biggest issue with the current design is the Jin at the top. It just seems very aggressive and way too busy. The tree already has a busy trunkline and the asymmetrical foliage works well. That blast of Jin is distracting to me.

Again, awesome material.

Nice tree. As to the front -- is it possible that it has "no front". But is a tree with many fronts -- a tree in the round, viewed from any angle?

I personally feel that we are to fixated on "the font". Ideally trees should be able to be viewed "in the round" from any and all directions.

As for the blast of jin at the top, I am carving the shari throughout the tree. There will be holes, uros, and ruggedness throughout the tree to balance the bunch of jin at the top. However, it at any point I don't like this front, I can turn the tree around. Te original front is on the other side :)

That is a great looking tree. Did you find it at a nursery in the shape in the first photo? I cant wait to start working on some of my trees this spring.

That is a great looking tree. Did you find it at a nursery in the shape in the first photo? I cant wait to start working on some of my trees this spring.

Yes that is the picture before any work is done. If you are excited to work on "transformations" I recommend getting is relatively current kokufu book. Study how their conifers are designed. Pay special attention to flow as it relates to movement and branches. I've in no way created a kokufu tree, I've just done my best with an S shaped tree.

Back
Top Bottom