Progressive Maple Challenge - Tom's JM Bloodgood

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had forgotten that I had decided on this as the front last fall. I'll get a better pic soon.
image.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What about something like this? Use a large flate grow box to increase the root flare along with thread grafts. Then shortening the top and grafting branches lower or waiting for a bud to form there and working a canopy like this?

just messing with he overall image. I know Bjorn wouldn't like the tree so tall and would say it's a classical mistake. It was just a quick vert. so you may want the tree to go left and not right so much.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What about something like this? Use a large flate grow box to increase the root flare along with thread grafts. Then shortening the top and grafting branches lower or waiting for a bud to form there and working a canopy like this?

just messing with he overall image. I know Bjorn wouldn't like the tree so tall and would say it's a classical mistake. It was just a quick vert. so you may want the tree to go left and not right so much.
Thanks for the virt I like the shape you gave it. It is a bit tall i wonder if I should just air layer it like I thought originally.

MidMichBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It seems to me that air layering is the best idea at this point. Perhaps just above the first visible wound on the trunk (where it's clear their used to be a branch). It solves your height problem and damaged wood on the lower trunk problem. I think you would be much happier with it long term.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is actually the most vigorous I've ever seen this tree. Might be vigorous enough to try an air layer this spring.

image.jpg image.jpg

Top Bottom