Pseudocydonia, Chinese Quince

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Are you guys making fun of me and my trees?? My trees don't appreciate the insults either. They wanted to let you know

"THAT WE ARE NOT BUDDING NOW" ;)!!

and it could have something to do that I live in a zone 5-6 and you clowns live zones 7A-7B & 7B-8A...so there! It's still snowing and below freezing hear at night and 40-50 during the day.

Have a warm day for us please!
I feel your pain. My temps dropped to 28°F last night and now all the foliage on my azaleas has gone purple again but somehow I’m looking at hi 80s at the end of the week.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am updating this...After doing the scratch the bark test, all of my quince that I show are dead. I have no idea why. They grew well last summer, were watered and protected this last winter in a shed that did not get below 32F, and in good soil. They all had good root balls with lots of fine roots also. Any ideas why they might have died?

Attachments

• IMG_4322.jpg
    IMG_4322.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4323.jpg
    IMG_4323.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 39

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I am updating this...After doing the scratch the bark test, all of my quince that I show are dead. I have no idea why. They grew well last summer, were watered and protected this last winter in a shed that did not get below 32F, and in good soil. They all had good root balls with lots of fine roots also. Any ideas why they might have died?
Best to have this discussion in a separate thread. But no, I don’t have any ideas unless it just got colder in your winter shed than you thought.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Apparently deer love Chinese Quince and one has been pruning mine in the growing bed. Next year I am moving them to my front yard to get more sun and fewer deer.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey @Brian Van Fleet ... I had one as me a question on these. I don't know the answer. As I've not personally done it.
Quick Google search says a healthy tree in winter...this would be done. But ... I can't say I'm familiar with the source that claimed it. Have you heard of anyone doing it?
Copied and pasted:

I was wondering if you have heard of anyone doing a hard chop to a bare trunk and what the outcome may be to a Chinese quince? I have 2 I'm contemplating about.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey @Brian Van Fleet ... I had one as me a question on these. I don't know the answer. As I've not personally done it.
Quick Google search says a healthy tree in winter...this would be done. But ... I can't say I'm familiar with the source that claimed it. Have you heard of anyone doing it?
Copied and pasted:

I was wondering if you have heard of anyone doing a hard chop to a bare trunk and what the outcome may be to a Chinese quince? I have 2 I'm contemplating about.
They handle it just fine.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Copied and pasted:

@Cajunrider Uncle, how did the tree response to your hard chops?

Top Bottom