Pumice as substrate..

I have settled on a mix of pumice and 20-30% decomposed pine bark (sifted) for everything. Works great.

Same here. I use a product that is called dry stall. It is 100% pumice. The particle size is rather small but I have had good luck with it so far though.

Anyone aware of a source of "Dry Stall" in the southeast? I am in northwest Florida near Mobile Alabama.

Anyone aware of a source of "Dry Stall" in the southeast? I am in northwest Florida near Mobile Alabama.

Funny I just tried to find their website but it appears to be gone. I hope it isn't a indication that the product is going away. I find it to be a great inexpensive substrate it would be a shame to loose it. To answer your question, the old website listed Agway and Southern States Feed as authorized distributers. If that doesn't work try a local feed store. They might be able to order something in for you.

Tried both Agway and Southern States and all I could find was stall dry which is not the same. I tried feed stores in this area and one even went on line to see if you could order it for me and no luck. It will be a shame to lose it as a source. Hard to find pumice anywhere.

Not true, you just have to know where to look.
Depends where you are. While you can always get some shipped to you, you may not be able to find it locally. Around here (near Rochester NY) no one carries dry stall or bulk pumice of any kind. I can get lava and akadama at good prices, all the turface I could ever want...but there is no pumice to be found.

Unless someone is hiding it all for their own use!

Pumice works great. All of my newly collected trees go in 100% pumice at first. More developed trees grow too fast in pumice and do better in regular bonsai mix.

Most major universities bring in large amounts of clean pumice to use in labs. You need to think past horticultural uses, and then you will find pumice. It's everywhere

Not true, you just have to know where to look.

Where do you get pumice and what's the cost? Dry stall is good but the particle size is a little small. I wouldn't mind having another source in my back pocket if dry stall does go away.

Most major universities bring in large amounts of clean pumice to use in labs. You need to think past horticultural uses, and then you will find pumice. It's everywhere
OK, who should we contact to get at this rich source of pumice? I bet that you'll get laughed at if you try to contact a university to purchase pumice. Unless you know someone on the inside.

The reason I added some sphagnum is to get the pH down as azalea likes it. Whether it will have the desired affect I don't know as yet. Kanuma as I understand has a lower pH that suits azalea very well.
How do you find pumice alone Shima? Have you been using it long?

Since there's a volcano a 5 minute drive from here spitting out vog:
Vog is a form of air pollution that results when sulfur dioxide and other gases and particles emitted by an erupting volcano react with oxygen and moisture in the presence of sunlight. The word is a portmanteau of the words "volcanic", "smog", and "fog". The term is in common use in the Hawaiian islands, where the Kīlauea volcano, on the Island of Hawaiʻi (aka "The Big Island"), has been erupting continuously since 1990. Based on June 2008 measurements, Kīlauea emits 2,000–4,000 tons of sulfur dioxide every day.[1] the water is acidic and azaleas and camellias love it. The only problem I have with everything is that they grow roots too fast so everything is about to go under a rain shelter where I can have more control. Ve must haff control, ya?:cool:

I don't like pumice - you can't tell when it's dry by just looking at it. DE and akadama change colour nicely.
I work at a nursery and have learned to gauge my plants moisture by picking it up and feeling how heavy it is. Over time you learn when it's moist and dry, not that you could over water with pumice anyway.

I don't like pumice - you can't tell when it's dry by just looking at it. DE and akadama change colour nicely.
Don't be deceived by its looks. When its white it still contains more moisture than we think. I think the more important factor is the rate that a substrate releases its moisture vapour.....
Anyway I did some moisture holding tests and I'm pleasantly surprized by pumice. It looks white and dry but it isnt.... Almost finish, will put it up soon... ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom