Put your favorite stone you have on this thread (doesn’t have to be suiseki)

TCEvan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice local stone...
Found it in Rogers City. Tons of amazing rocks/boulders up there, including an absurd amount of petoskeys. There are a few rock slides I go to in the area where you can casually look at the ground and can find half a dozen petoskeys in about 30 seconds. I'm not personally a huge fan of them, but everyone else in Michigan seems to be, so I still grab them sometimes.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
All seriousness... my Chrysanthemum stone.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Found it in Rogers City. Tons of amazing rocks/boulders up there, including an absurd amount of petoskeys. There are a few rock slides I go to in the area where you can casually look at the ground and can find half a dozen petoskeys in about 30 seconds. I'm not personally a huge fan of them, but everyone else in Michigan seems to be, so I still grab them sometimes.
Used to have a place in Oscoda and we would score lots of nice stones...

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Hi all
A few months ago a friend was moving in to a smaller home so I bought some of his trees and other stuff, This composition has something that's hard like rock but is multi tubulat and slightly brittle too!
I took it to our Bonsai club to see if anyone had seen this stuff before, No one had and the best guess as to what it was was the thought that it could have been where some sub aqua worms lived millennia ago! 🤔

DDQpx91.jpg

4AJtkkI.jpg
CvdAoWq.jpg

John :)

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all
A few months ago a friend was moving in to a smaller home so I bought some of his trees and other stuff, This composition has something that's hard like rock but is multi tubulat and slightly brittle too!
I took it to our Bonsai club to see if anyone had seen this stuff before, No one had and the best guess as to what it was was the thought that it could have been where some sub aqua worms lived millennia ago! 🤔

DDQpx91.jpg

4AJtkkI.jpg
CvdAoWq.jpg

John :)
Very interesting layout of the entire system...

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
Very interesting layout of the entire system...
He planted a Juniper, Two small Azaleas and something else, Can't recall what the last plant was, One of the Azaleas perished though, Oh, There's loads of small Alpine type plants too!!

I also got another strange planting from him too, This one he planted in to a compost bin lid so it won't stand straight for the handle in the centre being taller than the rest!! ☺️

This one has rocks in too!!
bi4cKWK.jpg

There's a strange contorted Hornbeam at the back, It wasn't in leaf when I took this pic, I'll have to get a pic tomorrow!!
I'll replant them both next spring, I have a few large landscape pots going spare!
GF6yyi0.jpg

I've no idea what thew tree on the right is but it was mostly dead when I got it, The foliage in the pic is still alive but I don't know for how long!!

O4NIE48.jpg

John 👍

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Went to a Barn Sale today with the wife and daughter today. Found this little gem for $4.50... Looks glass-like.

Anyone know what it could be? It has great potential for RoR with one of my JBPs...

Attachments

• New Stone.jpg
    New Stone.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 25
  • New StoneII.jpg
    New StoneII.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 24
  • New StoneIII.jpg
    New StoneIII.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 24

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Went to a Barn Sale today with the wife and daughter today. Found this little gem for $4.50... Looks glass-like.

Anyone know what it could be? It has great potential for RoR with one of my JBPs...
Probably obsidian, volcanic glass.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
That was my guess. It should work well holding the roots in place on my JBP project in the spring,,,

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Crappy camera, bad lighting, and and it's a bit dusty from sitting under the bed.
Also, my 5yo wanted to model it.
IMG_20231104_212927_895.jpg
IMG_20231104_212910_546.jpg
IMG_20231104_212826_044.jpg
Basalt I believe, but the green striations are what prompted me to carry it down a steep mountain path from an abandoned mine a couple years ago.
Still working out a preferred orientation and front for when I carve a daiza for it.

I'll probably share others in the future.
I do live in the ROCKY Mountains after all.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Check out this guy on facebook he has collected thousands of stones from California....
Ken is a friend of mine. He is probably the most prolific viewing stone collector in the U.S.. His yard is full of thousands of beautiful stones and he has a whole room in his house with so many stones in daizas you can barely walk through. Ken has discovered many secret collecting spots in California and Oregon and I'm fortunate that he has shared a few with me.

Top Bottom