Q-Bonsai tools

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've needed to get a few new tools for a while. I started with pretty basic stuff from dallasbonsai.com, and they've served me well. But the tip of my concave cutter was chipped, and I wanted to get nicer tools than I had before.

I ordered two spherical concave cutters and a pair of scissors from Q-bonsai here on the forum. The prices were great, shipping was prompt and things were well packaged. I couldn't ask for more in an online transaction. I'll definitely be ordering more tools from him in the future. I'd definitely recommend buying from him.

I have a full day workshop with Owen Reich on Friday, so the tools will get some good use soon.

I was looking online for any local places that sell bonsai tools and stumbled upon what looks to be @Q-Bonsai 's upcoming site: http://bonsaimai.com/

It's not complete yet, but it does offer a small look into what he stocks. He has much more than listed, from cut paste and wire to high quality Kaneshin tools. I've worked with Quyen directly through email on a few orders and his responses have always been quick and informative. He gives great advice on tool sizing and will also recommend any items depending on what projects you're working on. His pricing also seems to be lower than if I had ordered from Kaneshin direct. He generally ships next day after payment and the products always arrive on-time and in good condition. He's a real pleasure to work with and will be my new go-to for tools.

While he does have a b-nut account, I find that email works fastest: quyenctong@gmail.com

It appears as though he sells Kaneshin tools, which are fantastic- but the factory has their own website. It is in Japan, but a little math should show that buying straight from the factory is cheaper in most cases... I have no idea what the shipping costs were for this guy, but I had two tools shipped to me from JAPAN By Kaneshin.. Only cost like $15 for shipping I think and the tools were here In SC in about 3-4 days! I was blown away! Both by the quality of the tools I bought and the speed of the shipping. I don't think I need to look any further to buy tools in the future. Just get them from the source!

http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualca...yword=&act=&sortkey=&offset=10&tsuka_conv=jpy

I have bought multiple other types of tools and paid similar prices for much LOWER quality! This Q is not charging unreasonable rates... But the site isn't even up yet, and you can get them cheaper form the OG. Just sayin...

It appears as though he sells Kaneshin tools, which are fantastic- but the factory has their own website. It is in Japan, but a little math should show that buying straight from the factory is cheaper in most cases... I have no idea what the shipping costs were for this guy, but I had two tools shipped to me from JAPAN By Kaneshin.. Only cost like $15 for shipping I think and the tools were here In SC in about 3-4 days! I was blown away! Both by the quality of the tools I bought and the speed of the shipping. I don't think I need to look any further to buy tools in the future. Just get them from the source!

http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualca...yword=&act=&sortkey=&offset=10&tsuka_conv=jpy

I have bought multiple other types of tools and paid similar prices for much LOWER quality! This Q is not charging unreasonable rates... But the site isn't even up yet, and you can get them cheaper form the OG. Just sayin...

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying direct. I'm just relating my own experience. I originally wanted to buy direct, but was thrown off by the disclaimer that I'd need to pay tax.. and they couldn't tell me how much. I sent two different emails asking what it would be and never got a response, leading me to find to find a local source.

Your post got me curious about pricing, so I did a little research. My last order consisted of:

(1) 500g container of cut paste (the green cap one) $12
(1) kaneshin 511 $48... (Kaneshin list 5292 yen / $43.65)
(1) kaneshin 20c $45... (Kaneshin list 4752 yen / $39.19)
(1) kaneshin 49 $35... (Kaneshin list 4104 yen / $33.87)
Shipping $10

In total, this comes out to $131.71 + tax from kaneshin ($15 shipping assumed). Minus the cut paste, it was $138 (pricing included tax). If the tax when buying from kaneshin is less than 5%, you pretty much break even. When the difference is that small, I tend to go with the one who gives better service and is more local (I try to support local small business when I can). It's all down to personal preference.

Either way, the kaneshin tools are the best I've had the pleasure of using, no matter where you get them from.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from buying direct. I'm just relating my own experience. I originally wanted to buy direct, but was thrown off by the disclaimer that I'd need to pay tax.. and they couldn't tell me how much. I sent two different emails asking what it would be and never got a response, leading me to find to find a local source.

Your post got me curious about pricing, so I did a little research. My last order consisted of:

(1) 500g container of cut paste (the green cap one) $12
(1) kaneshin 511 $48... (Kaneshin list 5292 yen / $43.65)
(1) kaneshin 20c $45... (Kaneshin list 4752 yen / $39.19)
(1) kaneshin 49 $35... (Kaneshin list 4104 yen / $33.87)
Shipping $10

In total, this comes out to $131.71 + tax from kaneshin ($15 shipping assumed). Minus the cut paste, it was $138 (pricing included tax). If the tax when buying from kaneshin is less than 5%, you pretty much break even. When the difference is that small, I tend to go with the one who gives better service and is more local (I try to support local small business when I can). It's all down to personal preference.

Either way, the kaneshin tools are the best I've had the pleasure of using, no matter where you get them from.
I was not charged anything extra for tax on my purchase. I suppose anything is possible, but I have not heard of anyone else paying anything extra for that when buying through them either. In the US, I think the Internet tax situation has been "up for review" for a while now, but it still seems to work so that you only pay the additional sales tax if purchasing from a vendor located in your state. No clue how it is supposed to work with international purchases, but I did not pay anything more for my last purchase.

I was not trying to discourage purchasing from Q either, I was just relaying that you can get the same tools for about the same price (cheaper depending on what the Yen is trading for at any one time) direct from Kaneshin and that their service is excellent! The thing that probably surprised me most about the transaction though was how fast they came! I figured I would be waiting weeks to get them from Japan...

The last point I'd make is selection... Any US vendor is only going to buy the tools that sell or that they think will sell... You get access to their entire catalogue through the link I posted. Carving tools, rotary tools and bits for them, wire, all types of concave cutters, knob cutters and shears... Saws, watering cans... ANYTHING you can think of.

If someone is truly "local", then you wouldn't be paying shipping at all, which is the ideal situation- stop by their store, buy something, walk out with it. Seems so antiquated these days? That will save you money vs most any shipped item obviously and get it in your hands the fastest! Living in Orange County, I am sure there are plenty of Bonsai nurseries within driving distance of your house, are their not? I have not got any full-time nurseries within close proximity to me, so I have to hop in the car for a day trip, make an appointment to ensure they will let me in and spend my whole day getting to and back from a Bonsai Nursery, or buy online. After more than a decade of buying online, this was the most recent and one of the best experiences I have had! Stone Lantern always gives great service too IMO. I like most if their products also- reasonably priced, especially their Aluminum wire!! but most of their low end "bonsai aesthetics" tools are kind of suspect.

I did the math. Put together a spreadsheet comparing the prices of both, and Quyen was a bit cheaper. Not a ton, but if I can save a little money and get the tools faster, why not?

I do in fact beat the factory pricing. Sometimes the prices are similar since I don't keep track of conversion rates but I sell the tools for roughly 5% cheaper than direct. My margins are very low but that isn't my purpose in selling tools.

When I started with bonsai, I bought 2 sets of cheap tools, one from ebay and one from amazon since I felt like quality tools were too expensive. Fast forward and after buy a lot of tools from nearly every brand, I decided that I like Kaneshin and Masakuni the best. So I decided to sell those brands at prices people can afford and provide detailed/fast service to help guide people through their decisions. I have spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with people to help them learn about tools, in the end, they didn't buy anything; but that's OK. I'll tell them that they don't have to buy from me but to at least stay away from crap that won't last them a season. I also don't try to sell people stuff they don't need even if the margins are higher. I've told many beginners, no you don't need a root cutter, just sharpen an old concave cutter for now and get tools that are absolutely essential. I make very very low margins on essential tools.

Feel free to access their catalogue, pick out what you want, and shoot me an email. I will beat their prices and ship for less. How can I sell them for less? I order once a week sometimes twice, I buy a lot of stuff from them, then when I sell, I make very low margins. Plus, if I don't have it in stock, I order it same day, EMS. You get the tools just as fast since they will send my orders out first since I buy so much from them; and then I ship them out same day they come in.

How do I make money? I really don't... Let me put it to you this way, I have a few very good customers that I give a discount to. I make $1 - $2 per tool off of those sales.

As for Masakuni? Go to Dallas Bonsai or California bonsai, look at their prices and take 10%-50% off and that is what I sell them for.

If you still question whether or not I can provide real discounts, pick one of the tool sets they have available, take 20% - 30% off and that's your price shipped to your door. I make higher margins on the sets so instead of keeping all the money, I pass it on to people that love bonsai.

Which of the Kaneshin (or any brand really) tweezers and saws do you all reccomend? I really need a good, small saw for chops and collectong trees.

Joe R,

Depends on what you will use them for. 62A are good robust heavy duty tweezers but might not be good for detailed pine work. I personally like the 64B for pine and detailed work since they have thin tips and are more precise. I don't recommend Masakuni tweezers since they cost more and there is not most of a quality or feel difference.

I don't recommend Kaneshin saws for collecting. The 84 saws are good for clean branch cutting and excel in tight areas, but none of Kaneshin saws are beefy enough for heavy cuts. I recommend asking around to find a collecting saw you like, I haven't found a great one yet.

Which of the Kaneshin (or any brand really) tweezers and saws do you all reccomend? I really need a good, small saw for chops and collectong trees.

Joe -

I've used the Corona brand hand saws for collecting. They worked pretty well when new, but anytime you're cutting into dirt to remove the large roots you're going to dull the blade quickly. A battery powered reciprocating saw works well since you can change out the blades (and it's a lot easier on the arms :).

As an update on the tools... I love them. I got the rounded concave cutters in both sizes and they are awesome. They probably aren't as nice as the Masakuni tools (haven't used them, so I can't say from personal experience), but the Kaneshin tools have been a great upgrade from the beginner set I started with. I will definitely be adding more, and getting them from Quyen.

I wanted one saw for collecting, and one for branch cutting so maybe I will get the 84.

Current price for:

tweezers 62A: $28
tweezers 64B: $40
saw 84: $21

I do in fact beat the factory pricing. Sometimes the prices are similar since I don't keep track of conversion rates but I sell the tools for roughly 5% cheaper than direct. My margins are very low but that isn't my purpose in selling tools.

When I started with bonsai, I bought 2 sets of cheap tools, one from ebay and one from amazon since I felt like quality tools were too expensive. Fast forward and after buy a lot of tools from nearly every brand, I decided that I like Kaneshin and Masakuni the best. So I decided to sell those brands at prices people can afford and provide detailed/fast service to help guide people through their decisions. I have spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with people to help them learn about tools, in the end, they didn't buy anything; but that's OK. I'll tell them that they don't have to buy from me but to at least stay away from crap that won't last them a season. I also don't try to sell people stuff they don't need even if the margins are higher. I've told many beginners, no you don't need a root cutter, just sharpen an old concave cutter for now and get tools that are absolutely essential. I make very very low margins on essential tools.

Feel free to access their catalogue, pick out what you want, and shoot me an email. I will beat their prices and ship for less. How can I sell them for less? I order once a week sometimes twice, I buy a lot of stuff from them, then when I sell, I make very low margins. Plus, if I don't have it in stock, I order it same day, EMS. You get the tools just as fast since they will send my orders out first since I buy so much from them; and then I ship them out same day they come in.

How do I make money? I really don't... Let me put it to you this way, I have a few very good customers that I give a discount to. I make $1 - $2 per tool off of those sales.

As for Masakuni? Go to Dallas Bonsai or California bonsai, look at their prices and take 10%-50% off and that is what I sell them for.

If you still question whether or not I can provide real discounts, pick one of the tool sets they have available, take 20% - 30% off and that's your price shipped to your door. I make higher margins on the sets so instead of keeping all the money, I pass it on to people that love bonsai.
I wasn't doubting you or slamming you Q. I was just commenting on the positive experience I had with Kaneshin, and when comparing to the prices on the website link posted, the few pieces I compared... I found the prices at Kaneshin to be a bit lower. If you say you can get the same tools sent at the same speed for a lower price, I trust you and we'd all be fools NOT to order from you! But, one question... Can you provide the same awesome packing materials Kaneshin provided? I really got a kick out of the Japanese Newspaper! :)

Thanks!

I wasn't doubting you or slamming you Q. I was just commenting on the positive experience I had with Kaneshin, and when comparing to the prices on the website link posted, the few pieces I compared... I found the prices at Kaneshin to be a bit lower. If you say you can get the same tools sent at the same speed for a lower price, I trust you and we'd all be fools NOT to order from you! But, one question... Can you provide the same awesome packing materials Kaneshin provided? I really got a kick out of the Japanese Newspaper! :)

Thanks!
That's the problem I am having with keeping a website. It was made a while ago and so the prices are out dated. Yes those prices are marginally higher than buying from direct, that's why I always tell people to just contact me :)

I actually keep their newspaper and package it! If I run out, I use either peanuts or craft paper.

If you ask around, I am pretty sure 100% of my customers are satisfied. There was 1 exception where I over charged by $6 on an order of $150. I refunded the money when I discovered this and offered a discount on the next order.

That's the problem I am having with keeping a website. It was made a while ago and so the prices are out dated. Yes those prices are marginally higher than buying from direct, that's why I always tell people to just contact me :)

I actually keep their newspaper and package it! If I run out, I use either peanuts or craft paper.

If you ask around, I am pretty sure 100% of my customers are satisfied. There was 1 exception where I over charged by $6 on an order of $150. I refunded the money when I discovered this and offered a discount on the next order.
Well, if it comes with the Japanese paper, count me in!! LOL

Always excited to find a new vendor.. I don't have massive needs and already own most the tools I need, but I might get a new concave cutter and a root cutter in the near future... Time to start replacing the cheap/ crappy tools I have accumulated over the years with better stuff. My trees deserve it!

Do you sell trees as well?

I have trees that are for sale ;) but not many. I wish I had a nursery full of trees but so far I only have my yard.

I have trees that I plan on keeping, and then most are trees that I bought to style for a year or two and sell. They usually sell before I can get them to the quality that would get top dollar so I always wind up with a lot of raw stock and starting over lol. I also have several stock trees I'm not too excited about that I could let go for cheap too.

Shoot me an email quyenctong@gmail.com and we can chat more.

I did the math. Put together a spreadsheet comparing the prices of both, and Quyen was a bit cheaper. Not a ton, but if I can save a little money and get the tools faster, why not?

Don't forget to look for your extra bank fees at the endof the month for the "convenience" of purchasing something in yen.

Yesterday, I received some new toys from @Q-Bonsai. I purchased Kaneshin no.11 and no 3A, knob cutter and concave cutter respectively. They're my first "pricey" bonsai tools. I don't mind paying more money for quality tools. I may try Masakuni from him one day, but these should be more than adequate for my beginner hands and last a pretty good long time. Anyhow, communication from Quyen of Q-bonsai is great. The product was well packaged. Delivered by USPS within a reasonable amount of time. Price is all right. I love being able to support local businesses. I'd buy from Q again.

Back
Top Bottom