Raffia vs vet wrap for bending thick branches

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi everyone. I have to bend the thick branch down a little at the very top of the Chinese juniper to set it up as a cascade. Currently it's almost horizontal. There are a few options: some guys use raffia + electric tape (to keep the raffia and bark moist and elastic), some vet wrap like Harry Harrington or Tony Tickle (video) although he uses it on pine, not juniper. They think vet wrap is better than raffia. Which method is right for my case?

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-18_11-57-17.jpg
    photo_2023-05-18_11-57-17.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230823_071101318.jpg
    PXL_20230823_071101318.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230823_071228994.jpg
    PXL_20230823_071228994.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 34
  • PXL_20230823_071257422.jpg
    PXL_20230823_071257422.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The "vet wrap" I used made a mess and stuck to the bark. It broke down and had to be removed thread by thread and left adhesive on the bark. I bought it a CVS. Never again...

They think vet wrap is better than raffia. Which method is right for my case?
Raffia. When I’ve used vet wrap it gets sticky gross and leaves a residue after time. Maybe I used the wrong product or left it on too long.

I’d present a 3rd option. Tom Vuong’s magic wet bending technique. I’ve seen this applied and help applied this at the Huntington on old California Junipers. It bends branches that I wouldn’t not thought possible. To expand on the below, leave some gaps in the electrical tape outside the wet towel so that you can keep it hydrated. You can get an IV drip setup to keep it moist.

Tom Vuong did his magic at the March meeting. He has a great deal of experience bending large branches for his bonsai designs, and we were amazed at how he applied his talents.

He started with an “unbendable”, straight semi-cascade juniper and ended with a heavily transformed tree with beautiful movement in the design. Tom brought two trees; one to show how he prepares for bending and one previously prepared that he bent into his final design. His process to prepare a tree for bending involves wrapping the trunk area to be bent with wet rag paper towels, running two lengths of #4 aluminum wire (one on each side of the bend) and holding it in place with zip ties. He then wraps the area with electrical tape, sticky side out. Tom recommended the wrapped tree be left for one week, keeping the wrapping moist to soften the tree fibers.

I have to bend the thick branch down a little at the very top of the Chinese juniper to set it up as a cascade. Currently it's almost horizontal.

To be clear, is this image what you are going for where the foliage comes down for the cascade? If so, don’t bend it out, increasing the angle towards the red arrow. It would likely fail at the existing bend. Instead, rotate and bend towards you if you are in front of the tree. Then you can continue to bring it down and forward and right. You might also try bending and rotating the main trunk.

IMG_5269.jpeg

To be clear, is this image what you are going for where the foliage comes down for the cascade? If so, don’t bend it out, increasing the angle towards the red arrow. It would likely fail at the existing bend. Instead, rotate and bend towards you if you are in front of the tree. Then you can continue to bring it down and forward and right. You might also try bending and rotating the main trunk.

View attachment 504595

No, I planned to bend it as you marked with the yellow arrow. That is, it's something between a cascade and a literary style, like this:
651.jpg

The "vet wrap" I used made a mess and stuck to the bark. It broke down and had to be removed thread by thread and left adhesive on the bark. I bought it a CVS. Never again...

Yes, it's a mess. Thanks for warning.

I used the VET tape once... never again, raffia can be found cheap on Amazon, strands are not as long as the one sold for bonsai, but it works well on small trees.

I like raffia and covering it with electrical tape so that it traps the moisture.
But keep in mind that you pick the right season to do this bend, and that season isn't summer.

I like raffia and covering it with electrical tape so that it traps the moisture.
But keep in mind that you pick the right season to do this bend, and that season isn't summer.
I second this. I’ve been using raffia with electrical tape on top for several years now, and it works excellent. What’s nice also, is after you wrap the raffia you can run aluminum or copper along the trunk and then cover that with the electrical tape. Yes, you have a black trunk for a while, but functionally it’s a great method.

I have used the vet wrap on both Pines and junipers. It definitely degrades in the sun and will gum up rough bark. I just leave the hard to remove remnants where they are and let the sun do the rest. Within a year of removing the wrap, the remnants are gone. I’ve also used raffia, electric tape, and even the nylon cord that held together bales of pine straw. They all work equally well, but the raffia and nylon cord are much more tedious to apply correctly.

By the way, Tony Tickle said that one of the benefits of the vet wrap is that it breathable. Is it really that important?

Raffia. When I’ve used vet wrap it gets sticky gross and leaves a residue after time. Maybe I used the wrong product or left it on too long.

I’d present a 3rd option. Tom Vuong’s magic wet bending technique. I’ve seen this applied and help applied this at the Huntington on old California Junipers. It bends branches that I wouldn’t not thought possible. To expand on the below, leave some gaps in the electrical tape outside the wet towel so that you can keep it hydrated. You can get an IV drip setup to keep it moist.

Tom Vuong did his magic at the March meeting. He has a great deal of experience bending large branches for his bonsai designs, and we were amazed at how he applied his talents.

He started with an “unbendable”, straight semi-cascade juniper and ended with a heavily transformed tree with beautiful movement in the design. Tom brought two trees; one to show how he prepares for bending and one previously prepared that he bent into his final design. His process to prepare a tree for bending involves wrapping the trunk area to be bent with wet rag paper towels, running two lengths of #4 aluminum wire (one on each side of the bend) and holding it in place with zip ties. He then wraps the area with electrical tape, sticky side out. Tom recommended the wrapped tree be left for one week, keeping the wrapping moist to soften the tree fibers.

There is a YouTube video of Tom performing this technique.

Back
Top Bottom