Salts In Water?

I am skeptical of this device
Using the filter has eliminated the white spots left on leaves. Not sure what else would leave residue like that.... perhaps chlorine?

I got my new .5 micron filter for my whole house filter. The other one I had in there was a standard 5 micron filter. I am still looking for a better filter system. I was looking at RO and DI options, they are expensive. I wouldn't buy such a thing for just my plants but it is for me also.

Hi Patrick, I'm sorry you went through the expense of a whole house filtration system. A filtration system will eliminate particles, it will not do anything about dissolved salts. To removed dissolved salts you need either an RO system or a DI system, and yes, they are expensive. If you areon a municiple water system the water supplier is required to keep records of water testing and make them available, call your city and ask what the Total Dissolved Solids of your water is, any number under 600 ppm and it is doubtful that your water is the problem.

HOWEVER - I don't think the problem is really the water. You said in your second post you are growing indoors. I think you have a mildew, mold or leaf blight problem. Two common causes of these problems are misting your plants, and not enough air movement. Fungal diseases often can be cured simply by modifying the environment. Get an inexpensive small fan, less than $20 will work. Position the fan so it blows towards or across where your houseplants and bonsai are. You want enough of a breeze that thin grassy leaves would sway in the breeze. Leave the fan on 24 hours a day, seven days a week. All your house plants will be healthier for it.

Second, you need to treat the mildew you got started. Any big box store or nursery will have sprays for Roses. Make sure label says good for black leaf spot and powdery mildew. This will work on most houseplants quite well.

Thanks Leo,
I already had the water filter, been using it for years, I just got a better filter cartridge. I also got some spray last week and have applied it once and the plant seems to be doing better. the instructions say apply once a week until the problem is taken care of. I can understand the lack of air movement could be a part of the problem. I have had the plant this thread is about since last fall. During the cold months the windows were closed of course so not much air movement. I just happen to have a small 10" box fan that I could use for the plants. I have often wondered if that isn't one of the reasons a lot of tree types can't be used for indoor bonsai.

main reasons most trees can't be grown indoors is low light intensity, low humidity, insufficient day-night temperature differential, & wrong temperature range over the coarse of the year. Air movement is important, but is much easier to solve problem than the ones I just listed. Natal plum does well in low indoor humidity, its a good choice for indoor bonsai, though it does need as much light as you can give it.

I used to mist my trees , but it caused mildew to grow as the humidity gets too high and even worse if the leaves of one Bonsai touch another. This last can lead to a serious outbreak of mildew. I now make sure that all trees have some room around them. They can breath.

Back
Top Bottom