Seedling Black Pine for shohin

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In 2013 I started several JBP from seed.
Now, 7 years later they begin to look like trees.
I've got one that I want to make a small shohin (about 6 inch high).

IMG_3221.jpg

Just above the roots it's little over 2 inches wide. The elongation must come from the highest low shoot. It had 4 buds, of wich de biggest died. The three other buds grew to fast and had a bare neck of at least three inches. So I cut those, rather late in the season. A couple of buds are growing the right place there now, one for elongation one for branching.
IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

The sacrifice branche has very big buds. That wil give at least half an inch extra thickness of the trunk, of wich I do not know if I want it. It would make the transition from the top of the tree to the base more difficult I think.
Cutting the sacrifice will induce more and courser growth of the lowerbranches, with, I'm afraid, long bare necks.
What is wise?
IMG_3225.jpg

It looks like it’s time to remove the sacrifice.

Decandling in summer can control the lower branches internodes.

good work!

That’s up to you. Doing the Ebihara method of taking out 1/3 of a notch at the joint might be best.

Removed the sacrifice in one go. Tree was dead a couple of months later. Now very unsure about removing sacrificebranches. Well, it only took me 10 years to grow it...
Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t know why. I’m Still trying to understand them and their physiology.

Not sure why that tree died from a sacrifice chop unless it was done at the wrong time of the year. I always do mine in the late fall early winter when the sap is not flowing. I planted 15 JBP seeds the same year as you 2013 and did a chop on all of them and never had any problems. The first pic is right before the chop, the second is today. Yeah 10yrs work is hard to lose for sure.
P1018253_pe.jpg
D3C_9789_pe.jpg

Back
Top Bottom