Seeking Advice for Watering Hinoki Cypress

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Purchased a 2 foot high Hinoki Cypress that was heeled into the ground in burlap. Transplanted at home, heeled into ground in doubled burlap and covered with straw and pine bark. Watered once two days ago and today 1-2” of rain has fallen. Wondering how soon the tree might require water again. This is my first Winter with all 10 of my trees and first time with one in the ground.

Is watering once every 7 days with temps above 40F on the safe side during Winter?
IMG_1819.jpegThere is a row of healthy boxwood beside the tree to the left. It’s a good temporary location in the backyard.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting question.

Normally pretty easy as a dwarf Hinoki in ground is cold hardy zone 5-9.

As.a transplant in burlap there should be no loss in cold hardiness, unless the tree was damaged.

As long as the soil is damp the tree would normally be fine in ground with part sun.

That’s assuming the tree is within these zones .
Just noticed your approximate location and USDA zone does not show up on my screen.

Can you please double click on your icon, then click account details, scroll down and enter this data? This will help us easily answer future questions.

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Interesting question.

Normally pretty easy as a dwarf Hinoki in ground is cold hardy zone 5-9.

As.a transplant in burlap there should be no loss in cold hardiness, unless the tree was damaged.

As long as the soil is damp the tree would normally be fine in ground with part sun.

That’s assuming the tree is within these zones .
Just noticed your approximate location and USDA zone does not show up on my screen.

Can you please double click on your icon, then click account details, scroll down and enter this data? This will help us easily answer future questions.

Cheers
DSD sends
Ty for the response, I added the location details you mentioned.

Cypress is in a better position in the yard, not soggy ground, and few hours of direct sunlight through Winter until growing container in Spring.

Top Bottom