Seeking Expert Advice: Bonsai Tree Troubles with Dying/Black leaves Falling Foliage"

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello, fellow bonsai enthusiasts,

I'm reaching out for some guidance on an issue I've encountered with my bonsai tree, which I've been nurturing since I received it from Japan in the week before Thanksgiving 2023. I reside in Chicago, where the indoor temperature is consistently around 65 degrees Celsius. Initially, my bonsai was placed in an area with no indirect light, and after observing its struggle, I've made several changes to its care routine, but I'm still facing challenges.

Here's a brief overview of the situation:

Lighting: The bonsai was initially kept away from sunlight. Noticing its struggle, I moved it to a windowsill that receives indirect light, hoping it would benefit from a bit more brightness.

Watering: I increased the frequency of watering after observing that the soil was consistently too dry. This was done in an attempt to provide the tree with a more suitable moisture level, considering its apparent dehydration. Daily/every other day depending on soil dryness

Current Symptoms: Despite these adjustments, there are still worrying signs. There is new growth, which is encouraging, but many leaves are blackening and dying off. Additionally, I've noticed a white substance on the roots that wasn't present before, raising concerns about potential fungal growth or root rot.

Given these observations, I'm seeking advice on the following:

Diagnosis: What could be causing the leaf blackening and the appearance of a white substance on the roots? Could this be an indication of over-watering, or is it likely a fungal infection?

Care Adjustments: Considering the changes I've already made, what further adjustments should I consider to help my bonsai recover? Are there specific treatments for the roots that I should apply to address the white substance?

General Tips: Any general tips on maintaining a healthy bonsai in a climate like Chicago's would be greatly appreciated. I'm particularly interested in advice on balancing light exposure and watering in an indoor setting.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance. I deeply cherish this bonsai and hope to restore its health with your expert advice.

Best regards,

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 106
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 97
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 96
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    148 KB · Views: 90
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 85
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 109

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too many holes in this story. First one, 65 Celsius is 149 F.
How is it that you got these plan from Japan? What species is it supposed to be. Is it Serrisa? Boxwood? It looks like a big box store plant. I am really reluctant to chase this further until I can figure out what you have and where it came from.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like a Serissa. They are sensitive to being moved. They can be grown inside in a sunny window on a humidity tray, however they do much better when they are outside above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Good chance it can be saved if you are good with plants. Get it in a window on a humidity tray (shallow dish with coarse rocks, with some water in it). If you have supplemental grow lights, that would be even better. Probably needs to be watered every other day, mist the top daily.

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Too many holes in this story. First one, 65 Celsius is 149 F.
How is it that you got these plan from Japan? What species is it supposed to be. Is it Serrisa? Boxwood? It looks like a big box store plant. I am really reluctant to chase this further until I can figure out what you have and where it came from.
I meant 65 Fahrenheit, honest mistake! I was in Tokyo, saw it in a shop and bought it. I should have asked more questions, but I was more concerned with how to transport it back. I put it in a Duty-Free bag from the airport, resealed it, and got on the plane. Once to my seat, I was sitting first class (not to brag) I removed it from the bag and just sat it on the table next to me. It is definitely a Serrisa after taking a deeper look at pictures online.

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a Serissa. They are sensitive to being moved. They can be grown inside in a sunny window on a humidity tray, however they do much better when they are outside above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Good chance it can be saved if you are good with plants. Get it in a window on a humidity tray (shallow dish with coarse rocks, with some water in it). If you have supplemental grow lights, that would be even better. Probably needs to be watered every other day, mist the top daily.
This is very helpful. I bet the humidity is the largest culprit. So rather than indirect sunlight the Serissa should be getting direct sunlight? I have to grow lights for an aero garden that I can leverage; how many hours a day does the Serissa need?

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ai Bot you think?
Let me know if you would like the geo location of the shop I bought it at or maybe the Amazon order history showing the toolkit in the pics above. Just don't get me booted before I get the help I'm looking for is all I ask.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This is very helpful. I bet the humidity is the largest culprit. So rather than indirect sunlight the Serissa should be getting direct sunlight? I have to grow lights for an aero garden that I can leverage; how many hours a day does the Serissa need?
If it is inside, it will do better with as much light as you can provide, supplement sunlight with 8-10 hours daily in artificial if you have it.

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I meant 65 Fahrenheit, honest mistake! I was in Tokyo, saw it in a shop and bought it. I should have asked more questions, but I was more concerned with how to transport it back. I put it in a Duty-Free bag from the airport, resealed it, and got on the plane. Once to my seat, I was sitting first class (not to brag) I removed it from the bag and just sat it on the table next to me. It is definitely a Serrisa after taking a deeper look at pictures online.

You should ask the moderators to delete this thread. You’ve committed a crime. Stop self snitching.

(option 2 was to point out I doubt the TSA is that dumb and the unnecessary first class detail is very typical Tall Tale stuff)

Last edited:

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it is inside, it will do better with as much light as you can provide, supplement sunlight with 8-10 hours daily in artificial if you have it.
I will use the artificial light! The artificial light is currently set to turn on at night and off during the day. I imagine I need to change it to on during the day and off during the night. Are bonsai plants susceptible to lack of dark or true dark periods?

BobbyBigBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should ask the moderators to delete this thread. You’ve committed a crime. Stop self snitching.

(option 2 was to point out I doubt the TSA is that dumb and the unnecessary first class detail is very typical Tall Tale stuff)

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Let me know if you would like the geo location of the shop I bought it at or maybe the Amazon order history showing the toolkit in the pics above. Just don't get me booted before I get the help I'm looking for is all I ask.
Fair enough, I bought the same kit when I started Bonsai.
Good luck with your tree.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I will use the artificial light! The artificial light is currently set to turn on at night and off during the day. I imagine I need to change it to on during the day and off during the night. Are bonsai plants susceptible to lack of dark or true dark periods?

Yeah I would turn it off at night. 16 hours of light and 8 hours off should be a pretty good place to start. I think you can probably get some kind of automatic timer so you don’t have to do it manually every day.

I don’t know much about Serissa, but I probably wouldn’t let it get too dry.

If you get it to recover, I’d repot it into some akadama soil and that should make watering much more forgiving. I have a few tropicals that I keep in a windowsill and that’s what I do, anyway.

Good luck!

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

It is illegal to bring plants into the U.S. without going through certain import procedures, but I doubt it's illegal to bring a plant onto an airplane in Japan. Japanese travel security would have no reason to stop someone brining a small potted plant into an airport. That's an issue for U.S. customs after the plane lands on the other side of the ocean. For what it's worth, in my experience with U.S. customs, they aren't nearly as strict as the TSA. They just ask if you have any food or plants, and they trust you if you say no. I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so eager to dog pile on a new member with a minor error in his first post.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This 'imported' tree is mostly dead probably because of improper watering. The tree itself is of the same quality that is available at Walmart stores and the like here in the states. It's not certainly not worth the potential penalty for illegal import--which is comically what seems to have happened here. FWIW, the undeclared tree-in-the-luggage dodge is used by many dishonest yet knowledgeable bonsai folks to get bonsai past customs. That it happened with this unfortunate, pretty mediocre bonsai is funny.

For the OP--care for this is problematic, as serissa are notorious for dropping leaves because of too much or not enough water. The dried out foliage suggests extensive root damage from either overwatering or underwatering--symptoms are the same for both , since root damage from either compromises the plant's ability to transport water to leaves. Inside conditions are extremely harsh for any plant. Central heating in the winter time is particularly problematic since it drives interior humidity levels which are already desert like even lower. Light levels, even near windows is cavelike.

Serissa are not great beginner bonsai as they can be finicky about conditions like those.

FWIW, if you like serissa, better examples are readily available in the U.S. for potentially less money and certainly less legal risk. Better option for indoors is ficus. Less finicky, tougher and a better bonsai subject overall than serissa.

Also, TSA isn't the front line for agricultural imports. They care about guns,, knives (and yes, they confiscate guns and knives by the thousands, every year) , bombs, deranged passengers, etc. not plants. USDA and Customs and Border Protection are the key agencies that inspect for illegal agricultural products in international terminals at U.S. airports. Agricultural products (and bonsai that) have to be declared on customs forms by travelers before entry into the U.S. Hiding them is smuggling, sorry. Ignorance is not a defense against violating the law.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty accurate, thought I was going to create an account and save a bonsai, didn’t know the cost was being BBQ’ed in the process.

Folks here are weirdly suspicious of new accounts. Usually, it's targeted at sale threads that might be a scam. I'm not sure why they went after you.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Pretty accurate, thought I was going to create an account and save a bonsai, didn’t know the cost was being BBQ’ed in the process.
There were a few warning flags in your initial post is all... not directed at your personally, per se, as much as some new accounts in the past that were created by spammers or scammers.

Once people understand you are a real person, they will switch from suspicious to friendly and helpful :)

Top Bottom