SoHem Nation, Kiwi Check-in.

Reaction score
North Auckland (whangaparaoa), New Zealand
USDA Zone
10b
Went on my 1st yamadori yesterday. Didn't feel right about taking photos - it was on private land. Will take a photo of my tree later on today/tomorrow, Timaru. Large privit. I think it's going to be awesome. Took me hours to dig out. There were some large trees collected yesterday 😀

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My collected privet. Lots more cut back to do, however i'm thinking I should let it recover and get healthy before cut back any further. Also Im not sure on the final styling so unsure which to cut back. Lots of options.

very heavy, can hardly lift it, ( i am weak tho)

IMG_20190913_160048.jpgIMG_20190913_160055.jpgIMG_20190913_160104.jpgIMG_20190913_160114.jpgIMG_20190913_160820.jpgIMG_20190913_160827.jpgIMG_20190913_160832.jpg

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, Posted a thread here on some of my NZ native projects.

Feel free to follow and watch them develop. Hopefully I don't kill them!

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hiya, I'm new here. Passioned by NZ natives and bonsai and trying to bring them together. @Starfox @KiwiPlantGuy I sow some Kauri seeds I guess 14 yrs ago. Managed to raise 1 tree. Very very slow growing in he first 8-9 years, after that very strong growth.

When it outgrown the small greenhouse I decided to chop it back (March 2018) and try for bonsai. Spring 2019 I repotted it into a trainingpot with 50/50 akadama/lava mix. During summer 3 strong leaders developed which I cutted. That was the only cutting I did since chopping it. Cutting enables bleeding of a white sticky substance similar like wood glue. Do not spoil it on the stems or leaves as when it dries down it cannot be removed and give an unsightly look.

Pictures show new growth 3.months after chopping, rootsystem at repotting and how it looks today. Im wondering how to proceed: cutting back the crown by 1/3 or 1/2 next Spring? Just a feeling, didn't find any info on it. Im really proud to have such an ancient tree, dont want to loose it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated:)

IMG_20180619_130133.jpgIMG_20190324_153230.jpgIMG_20190415_082213.jpgIMG_20191103_125028.jpg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hiya, I'm new here. Passioned by NZ natives and bonsai and trying to bring them together. @Starfox @KiwiPlantGuy I sow some Kauri seeds I guess 14 yrs ago. Managed to raise 1 tree. Very very slow growing in he first 8-9 years, after that very strong growth.

When it outgrown the small greenhouse I decided to chop it back (March 2018) and try for bonsai. Spring 2019 I repotted it into a trainingpot with 50/50 akadama/lava mix. During summer 3 strong leaders developed which I cutted. That was the only cutting I did since chopping it. Cutting enables bleeding of a white sticky substance similar like wood glue. Do not spoil it on the stems or leaves as when it dries down it cannot be removed and give an unsightly look.

Pictures show new growth 3.months after chopping, rootsystem at repotting and how it looks today. Im wondering how to proceed: cutting back the crown by 1/3 or 1/2 next Spring? Just a feeling, didn't find any info on it. Im really proud to have such an ancient tree, dont want to loose it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated:)

View attachment 269650View attachment 269653View attachment 269654View attachment 269655

Hi,
Considering you have grown this for 15 years, I can give you a medal, as way cool tree. Having only the one survivor, has me thinking that you are correct about trimming the new growths in the Spring and continuing the ramification. If you search for a photo on here or google for Swamp Cypress bonsai (Taxodium) and the flat top design, that would be my way of design going forward. Obviously you can if you haven’t, search for photos of ancient kauri tree, as this shows how the go from being a tall (fat pencil) growth when young to more of a flat top when old. Although I am unsure when the shape changes. Pot selection looks weird, but easy to change if you want as bigger pot will help with any trunk girth. How big is the girth now?
I am just thinking out loud here, but have you tried pruning the new growth around longest day to get a second growth for each season to help with the ramification. If not you could try it with one branch and see if it works then report back so we can learn more.
Charles

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
Considering you have grown this for 15 years, I can give you a medal, as way cool tree. Having only the one survivor, has me thinking that you are correct about trimming the new growths in the Spring and continuing the ramification. If you search for a photo on here or google for Swamp Cypress bonsai (Taxodium) and the flat top design, that would be my way of design going forward. Obviously you can if you haven’t, search for photos of ancient kauri tree, as this shows how the go from being a tall (fat pencil) growth when young to more of a flat top when old. Although I am unsure when the shape changes. Pot selection looks weird, but easy to change if you want as bigger pot will help with any trunk girth. How big is the girth now?
I am just thinking out loud here, but have you tried pruning the new growth around longest day to get a second growth for each season to help with the ramification. If not you could try it with one branch and see if it works then report back so we can learn more.
Charles
Thanks! must confess that those first years of slow growth the only care was that I kept it moist during Summer and took it in the cold greenhouse for Winter. Agree what you mean with that flat top design, have a Taxodium also in which I am trying to create this shape. Mature Kauri look exactly like you described. I was lucky and very excited to see your ancient Kauris during my NZ visit in 2003. That's were it all started..

The pot is a pond container, with an open structure to gain fine root development. Roots grow through the pot and die of outside the pot instead of going round. As soon as roots developed I'll move it to a larger pot.

I like your suggestion to do a 2nd prune of the new growth around the longest day. Definitely will try this with 1 or 2 branches.
Thanks for thinking out loud:). Keep you posted.
Current girth is 11 cm at the top egde of the container and 9 cm just below the first branch.

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing @Greenman99 I knew someone had to be trying these out I just didn't expect it to be in the Netherlands.
Very cool tree, does it backbud after chopping?
I was 'infected' by the NZ native virus after my visit there in 2003. When Kauri grew to big to keep it sheltered from frost I had no other choise than chop it and try to develop it as bonsai. I had no clue what would happen. Fortunately it started to backbud within a couple of months. See pics how it developed.

IMG_20180305_084551.jpgIMG_20180312_110943.jpgIMG_20180312_122239.jpgIMG_20180619_130139.jpgIMG_20180701_144601.jpgIMG_20180822_114245.jpg

SpOoNzL

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Greenman99 Awesome that you have grown a NZ Kauri basically on the other side of the world. I would love one of these in my collection but I have not seen any in nurseries :( (I think I'm to far south). Its nice to know that when they are trunk chopped they produce lots of shoots form the top cut point.

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man NZ has some seriously weird(in a good way) native tree's http://bonsainz.com/wp/?page_id=82.

Heard them talking about NZ Lancewood on the radio so looked it up and eventually led me to that link. So many interesting, isolated species.
Thanks for sharing the link. So true about those species. NZ Lancewood in particular. I managed to raise a tree from seed. As it (in my opinion) is not suitable for bonsai and quite hardy, I planted it out in the garden. It is about 10 to 12 years old. Have to check my archives for the exact age. Since 1,5 year it starts to loose the lower leaves and ramify in the top. I wonder if it will survice if I chop it? The pattern on the trunk is awesome. First photo is from Summer 2018, the other 2 are from this morning.

IMG_20180701_144653.jpgIMG_20191105_075438.jpgIMG_20191105_075511.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hah, awesome.
It certainly is a curious tree, there is one in that link and although it's still in juvenile form could make a nice accent.
No idea what would happen if you chopped it, it may keep it in a juvenile form for longer or I wonder if it would throw side branches and speed the transformation up? They are vaguely related to schefflera if that means anything.
It may die too, I'd leave it alone and keep it as a nice feature tree.

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hah, awesome.
It certainly is a curious tree, there is one in that link and although it's still in juvenile form could make a nice accent.
No idea what would happen if you chopped it, it may keep it in a juvenile form for longer or I wonder if it would throw side branches and speed the transformation up? They are vaguely related to schefflera if that means anything.
It may die too, I'd leave it alone and keep it as a nice feature tree.
Yes, nice accent indeed that juvenile form in the link. Too late for my tree. For the moment I leave it like it is. My thoughts are that the tree will not survive. Now I hope to enjoy the transformation of the leaves. The mature leaves appear to be totally different from the juvenile form.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
QUOTE="Greenman99, post: 691519, member: 28488"]
Thanks for sharing the link. So true about those species. NZ Lancewood in particular. I managed to raise a tree from seed. As it (in my opinion) is not suitable for bonsai and quite hardy, I planted it out in the garden. It is about 10 to 12 years old. Have to check my archives for the exact age. Since 1,5 year it starts to loose the lower leaves and ramify in the top. I wonder if it will survice if I chop it? The pattern on the trunk is awesome. First photo is from Summer 2018, the other 2 are from this morning.

View attachment 269866View attachment 269867View attachment 269868
[/QUOTE]

Hi,
No idea whether chop would work. Probably not worth the risk if you have only got one?
This is another NZ native that has a

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Haha, my phone playing dumb arse sorry. I will try to post again the rest soon 👍🤬👎

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Very interesting. Curious if the Rimu and Kahikatea seedlings also in bonsai shape will transform after approx. 15 years. But that's looking a little too far in the future. First things first. Prepare for winter, however recent winters over here gave hardly frost of any significance. Thinking of planting out some in the garden when they're big enough. What kinda temperatures below zero can young plants handle? Rimu and Kahikatea.

Didn't know about the Pohutukawa wood not floating, that surely explains the naming:

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I potted my Fuchsia excorticata. I grown it from seeds. Kept it in a pot for many years. But trying gain thickness in the trunks I planted it in the garden during growing season. Today I dig it out for potting and spending winter in the cold greenhouse. As I'm not sure if it survives outside during the winter. So far every year in the cold greenhouse it looses its leaves. Too scared leaving it outside and loose it in a severe frost.

Unfortunately trunks hardly gained any girth during the 6 months it was in solid ground. Obviously it take triple the time as it has 3 trunks. I guess in its natural habitat it often has multiple trunks that will not grow very thick? I wonder what will happen if I remove 2 trunks? Will the one remaining get thicker? I rather keep the 3 trunks as to me that looks more natural. Anyone familiar with this species? In particular about hardiness and suitability for bonsai.

Also in a pot it flowered for many years at makes a great display. The 4 first pictures are from today before potting. The last 4 are from recent years.
IMG_20191110_155155.jpgIMG_20191110_155201.jpg
IMG_20191110_155149.jpgIMG_20191110_155222.jpg
IMG_20180405_115047.jpgIMG_20180405_115659.jpgIMG_20180405_115710.jpgIMG_20170409_104640.jpg

Greenman99

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I potted my Fuchsia excorticata. I grown it from seeds. Kept it in a pot for many years. But trying gain thickness in the trunks I planted it in the garden during growing season. Today I dig it out for potting and spending winter in the cold greenhouse. As I'm not sure if it survives outside during the winter. So far every year in the cold greenhouse it looses its leaves. Too scared leaving it outside and loose it in a severe frost.

Unfortunately trunks hardly gained any girth during the 6 months it was in solid ground. Obviously it take triple the time as it has 3 trunks. I guess in its natural habitat it often has multiple trunks that will not grow very thick? I wonder what will happen if I remove 2 trunks? Will the one remaining get thicker? I rather keep the 3 trunks as to me that looks more natural. Anyone familiar with this species? In particular about hardiness and suitability for bonsai.

Also in a pot it flowered for many years at makes a great display. The 4 first pictures are from today before potting. The last 4 are from recent years.
View attachment 270688View attachment 270689
View attachment 270687View attachment 270690
View attachment 270691View attachment 270692View attachment 270693View attachment 270694

The buds that will form the flowers in late Winter / early Spring are all ready appearing.

IMG_20191111_083018.jpgIMG_20191111_082942.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I'm not an expert on anything, but my theory is that ground planted trees take 1 growing season to establish, then the 2nd and 3rd season is when you start to see results on fast growing trees. I wonder if 6 months isn't enough time. Why don't you make a large timber grow box - same idea but portable?

Top Bottom