Soil and Water Conservation District's Annual Tree Sale

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Edit: This reads like a for sale ad. I'm not selling, just conversation.

It’s time for the 2021 SWCD Tree Sale! The seedling varieties that are in the sale this year are listed below. The order form is available by clicking the link below.

Do you guys ever get these in your districts? Ever buy them? I'm going to try some this year. (said that last year too)

Good varieties to choose from. Several have been recommended as good bonsai candidates.

Tree Seedling Varieties:

Tree varieties are available in packs of 5, 25, or 100 seedlings, and this year the American Plum, Redbud, Red Osier Dogwood, and River Birch are also available as single 3 to 4 foot saplings. Other items that are available this year include wildflower seed packets,

5 packs of seedlings are 10 bucks as well as 3-4' saplings are each.

I'm thinking a Red Osier Dogwood sapling. I have a Cornus Florida already. This looks more compact and different.
Choke Cherry 5 pack as I believe @Leo in N E Illinois recommended me years ago.
PawPaw out of pure curiosity and the same reason for nobody's favorite Red Maple.

What else would you recommend out of this list?

You are missing some links :) I couldn't find any info...
As far as ordering. I didn't include as they don't ship. You have to pick them up on a certain day. I just cut and pasted from the flyer I got.
I'm not trying to sell. I would assume other Soil and Water Conserv Dists do this in the US?

from the list

• American Plum - good for bonsai - white flower before leaves appear, blooms later than Ume
  • Black Walnut - poor choice for bonsai
  • Chokecherry - some think a poor choice, some think its a good choice, I used to think it a good choice.
  • Eastern White Cedar (Arborvitae) - excellent for bonsai
  • Ohio Buckeye - Big leaves, coarse branching - problematic for bonsai, but a few nice specimens have been made.
  • pawpaw - poor choice for bonsai, but a fascinating tree to have as a garden plant. Seedlings need shade until 3rd or 4th year. Needs a long hot summer to ripen fruit before frost.
  • Pawpaw
  • Redbud - doesn't have a great track record as bonsai, not saying impossible, just not a great record.
  • Red Maple - Excellent for medium to large trees, plan on finishing over 3 feet tall.
  • Red Oak - like all oaks, slow to develop from seedling, eventually can be great as bonsai
  • Red Osier Dogwood - could be good. The tendency to sucker from roots could be a problem. Keep removing root suckers.
  • River Birch - has worked well as bonsai, but not easiest material to work with.
  • Swamp White Oak - coarse bark makes its one of the better of the northern oak species for bonsai. More adaptable to various environments than many oaks, higher chances of success
  • Tuliptree - poor track record as bonsai. very unlikely to become something attractive.
  • White Oak - not quite as adaptable as swamp white oak to various environments, otherwise quite similar in characteristics - in other words, quite good for bonsai.
  • White Pine - poor track record as bonsai, most who try have composted their white pines (strobus). The small handful of good ones, cause many to keep trying.
  • Witch Hazel - leaves don't reduce as much as one would like, black bark, yellow autumn flowers make this a wonderful, unique focal point bonsai for viewing after leaf drop, with flowers in autumn. Its winter silhouette is fabulous.

As far as ordering. I didn't include as they don't ship. You have to pick them up on a certain day. I just cut and pasted from the flyer I got.
I'm not trying to sell. I would assume other Soil and Water Conserv Dists do this in the US?

In Missouri, it's the Missouri Department of Conservation that does this

In other states, I've seen other departments manage this kind of service. Missouri does ship but to state addresses only...or maybe first. They may open up extra stock to others at higher prices.

Look for whichever department is responsible for reforestation/natural restoration in your state for similar services.

Coldstream Farm is a wholesale nursery who's prices are competitive with most DNR soil conservation sites. I have ordered from them in the past and they are "good" in that you get nice healthy bare root trees. They definitely are for re-forestation projects, they are mostly arrow straight, but they are true to type and "good enough" as young stock to begin training into pre-bonsai and eventually "Bonsai".

I got a Dogwood with a nice set of roots. American Plum twin trunk with okay roots and a Redbud with a terrible set of roots LOL. Neighbor picked them up for me and had been laying under the bench for 10 days.
I just threw them all in the grow bed hastily yesterday as we just got back in town.
I put the dogwood in a pond basket, in the grow bed to maintain its usable root size.
Not too impressive for 10 bucks each. I guess I had higher expectations but they'll do and it's for a good cause.
The plum has the greatest potential but will need a lot of root work. Plan to give them the year then work roots next spring.

My state tree farm has seedling sales every year with a bunch of different species.
Never tried buying any from them though

They had one in the Detroit area. Tree pick up site was 68 miles round trip away. I might not go that far for free trees.

I may not have asked my neighbor to drive the 9 blocks to buy these had I known what they looked like. LOL Got couple large packs of wildflower seeds though.

Back
Top Bottom