Soil Mix for Yew

WoodsRoamer

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am starting a yew from a couple cuttings I have and am wondering if I can use diatomite and if I can what is a good mix for Yew? This will be my first bonsai tree and I live in northern WV and am able to put the plant outside as much as needed. Thanks for any info or help ahead of time.

Yews need to be outside all year round.

You can probably use straight diatomite. I would mix in some perlite though, maybe half and half. Are the cuttings already rooted?

No i just started them the other day and thanks for telling me about them needing to be outside all year did not know that and for the ratios. I'll probably try both since I should have three cuttings.

I just plucked a seedling yew and put it in DE. So far so good.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Thanks I'm not really good with text slang I'm kinda of low tech.

Thanks I'm not really good with text slang I'm kinda of low tech.

Bonsai nerd text slang!

Just watch out for boomslangs in the woods roaming!
Which brings us to the question...
What part of the World are you in!?

Boomslangs or Garter Snakes?
Arctic Foxes and Caribou?
Or Lions? Tigers? Bears?

Somebody's gonna ask you to put it in your profile. It helps to help.

Sorce

I live at the top of WV's northern panhandle worse thing we have is the occasional black bear and I have only seen 1 bear cub in the 7-8 years I've lived hear though I do find their tracks sometimes.

Hi there!

And welcome :)

A question though:
Why are you trying to start yews from cutting?o_O

I'm pretty sure you've got some for $20 at Home depot and even better could find some free very easily.
Here is one I found on the curb a couple weeks ago after I pruned it (chopped it in fact) and potted it:
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/collecting-a-dead-yew.22402/

I don't have a home depot close to me and most people around where I live cut the trees right above the ground and toss them, so I have easier access to cuttings

I don't have a home depot close to me and most people around where I live cut the trees right above the ground and toss them, so I have easier access to cuttings

You're looking for the bottom half of that scenario!

Sorce

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for a small one. The only ones I've found the last few years were all 5-6 ft or taller.

Fair enough :)

Thanks I'll keep my eye out for a small one. The only ones I've found the last few years were all 5-6 ft or taller.

The one I picked up was more than 6 feet also, but in this case you chop the branches and only keep the root ball and start of the trunk (in the thread I copied you that's what I did).
Normally you can chop the totality of the branches/foliage and yews will bud back.

Back
Top Bottom