Successful Weeping Willows?

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been reading the recent threads on Willow bonsai, and see that there are problems with die-back and the need for constant wiring and watering. However... There must be a few successful attempts other than these two awesome ones I've found online (most others are pretty sorry looking, except for one by Gene Deci found in another thread on this forum):

This one apparently lives at the Montreal Botanical Garden.
c06504499f5364335f3d399bac783200.jpg

This one I found on Kew Gardens website, and was created by Simon Tremblett
KPPCONT_069286.jpg

I'm sure there are successful attempts (you could find some on the web btw) but they really die back like crazy, and their roots die back too.
It's a shame because they are so easy to propagate, whatever the size of the branch/trunk you are trying to propagate, that they will be a treat otherwise...

Well, I guess it just means that 'too easy' doesn't belong to the bonsai vocabulary... :)

I'm sure there are successful attempts (you could find some on the web btw) but they really die back like crazy, and their roots die back too.
It's a shame because they are so easy to propagate, whatever the size of the branch/trunk you are trying to propagate, that they will be a treat otherwise...

Well, I guess it just means that 'too easy' doesn't belong to the bonsai vocabulary... :)
Well, I've searched many times and usually come up with really amateurish examples, which I suppose is to be expected given the difficulties you mention. It is a shame because I've got two really robust 3 inch "cuttings"

Well, I've searched many times and usually come up with really amateurish examples, which I suppose is to be expected given the difficulties you mention. It is a shame because I've got two really robust 3 inch "cuttings"

Yeah that suck's.
I have a Chinese willow in my yard and granted it roots, whatever you plant in the ground will. But even as a 'real life' tree each time I trim it (and I have to do it a lot because it growths like weed) at least 2 to 5 inches of the remaining branch turn black. And I'm not speaking here of cutting big branches, just the tips.
Also with willows as bonsai you'll have to re-pot it every year more or less, the problem is that when you prune their roots the most frequently the pruned roots will die and the tree will just grow new ones (because I supposed that for willows it's easier to grow roots than to try to fix the ones that have been cut).
Last year I try to start a weeping willow. I just planted a 1" diameter branch in the ground and it rooted. But once again the problem is that more than 90% of the branch died, even if the 10% remaining grew roots at one end and leaves at the other end...
Also of course no other possible style than weeping...

But anyway you could always try and see what happens, as you can see in the link Paradox gave sometimes it works (well at least it works for a while), and after all it's free to try :)

Last edited:
There was a really nice one at the 3rd U.S. National Exhibition in Rochester (2012). I haven't been able to find any pictures on line, but if you have access - it is featured on the cover of International Bonsai magazine (2013/#3) and in the National Exhibition album. The tree was from the Montreal group and it may be the same one shown in the first post, though it looks completely different. I know at some point it had nearly died due to a fungus and was completely re-grown from a single bud on the trunk. Maybe Bill Valavanis will see this and post a photo...

A club member here has one, cultivar "Rokkakudo" which is supposedly good for bonsai. I have 3 rooted cuttings developing in the ground. At this point I have no experience growing them in containers, or training with wire, etc...but haven't seen any evidence of branch die back problems on the trees I have in the ground (and the last 2 winters have been very severe). The trees are very vigorous and will need to be fairly large bonsai given the leaf size and spacing. I'm looking forward to getting one potted in a year or two...need to finish developing the second trunk section.

Chris

I spent some time talking to Marcus Watts at Noelanders. He claimed key to survival is enough water, to the extend of putting the pot in a tray filled with water.

Maybe a colander would help the root die back problem?
Haven't seen any in colanders.

Watering was never an issue for me, then again I had a small small one!

I tossed it when I found all the roots I cut back died and it grew new ones.

Sorce

Maybe a colander would help the root die back problem?
Haven't seen any in colanders.

Watering was never an issue for me, then again I had a small small one!

I tossed it when I found all the roots I cut back died and it grew new ones.

Sorce

Hi folks- I have grown Salix repens Creeping willow successfully as cascade for several years, making a nice small tree IMHO!
Its native to sand dunes here in UK. Its drought tolerant, very hardy and has small blue-grey leaves and yellow spring catkins.
Very easy to propagate from cuttings.
Will post photos when I get the chance.
I have also tried Salix matsudana tortuosa Twisted Pekin Willow also very easy to root from large diameter hardwood cuttings but it invariably dies back from pruning wounds after a couple of years even when grown on in the ground.
My advice is dont waste your time with willow species that need lots of water!!

Aren't willows the genus that was sometimes grown in a "root washing"
style to help carry them through the heat of summer? Don't remember
where I read it but perhaps someone else could refresh my memory on
this.

Hi here are some photos of my willows- ok they arent strictly weeping because most willow species dont weep!
All were grown from hardwood cuttings and are easy to propagate and most dont really need too much water except for Salix matsudana Tortuosa-(Peking twisted willow.)
I'd value your thoughts and comments !!

Hi here are some photos of my willows- ok they arent strictly weeping because most willow species dont weep!
All were grown from hardwood cuttings and are easy to propagate and most dont really need too much water except for Salix matsudana Tortuosa-(Peking twisted willow.)
I'd value your thoughts and comments !!
Sorry My photos didnt attach so will try again!

3-COVER.jpg David Easterbrook from Montreal, Canada, displayed his beautiful Rokakudo Weeping Willow in the 4th 2014 US National Bonsai Exhibition. He originally "stole" a cutting from one of my bonsai several decades ago. I did not care, but it makes a good story. Note the dead trunk section. Weeping Willow bonsai are not long lasting and will probably develop some kind of rot which will destroy the tree. OK, what is long lasting. For most people on the internet that might mean 5- 10- or even 15 years. But serious bonsai artists measure in decades… 30- 40-50 years. Who will be around to see your bonsai, if still alive, in 50 years? However, we must think about the future, not present.

Back
Top Bottom