Texas Ebony-- Already???

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I just planted a dish of Texas Ebony seeds about 5 days ago. Can these be thorns already? Sheesh these trees are mean but I love em!

100_0314.jpg

Yup. While you're training the trees, I recommend you snip off the thorns. Your hands will appreciate it.

So a practical question. As you see I have em sprouting in a tray of gravel. How long should I wait to transfer them to individual grow pots?

Safer to wait until the stems start getting woody.

Safer to wait until the stems start getting woody.
This is what I would do. If you keep these in temperature regulated area...it can be done before spring, roots still grow (if not too cold) giving it a good start come spring.

Next time, better to plant them in smaller pots (styrofoam cups work well with bottom holes) then placed in a common tub (or tray) filled with same medium (i.e. turface). You can just pull the entire cup when you want to plant them in their "individual" grow pot later.

I've read that some grower cut the tap roots ASAP while the seed is still germinating with the seed still attached and providing nutrients to the sprout. This is to encourage even and spreading (radial) root system rather than a single deep taproot. I can envision this working.

Here is what I put all my little stuff in: 34inchnetcupswatermark.1.jpgIt will air prune the taproot for me. We won't have a freeze here till December most likely.

So I just decided to pot a few up about 3 days ago. Here is a tray of 17 of em. So far so good and more coming up all the time.:) Very near to 100% germination. Not bad for just under 2 weeks from collection. I also just went and collected another batch of seeds.
100_0321.jpg

The thing that made me decide to do it is that we are entering our second growing season. It is kind of like spring right now with the monsoon rain. Soon we will be down in the 80's until October or so.

Last edited:
Love to see anything about the Texas Ebony. It's the only tropical I have. Does well in the office in the winter. West side of house. Very bright window. In the summer it laughs at 105 degrees. Truelly tuff great tree. I don't cut the thorns off. I think it deserves them. It loves too much water and does not hate you for drying out.

Back
Top Bottom