Textured pots for bonsai- what are your suggestions?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Bonsai pots with texture are definitely a quality all to themselves.

Here are some quick images of bonsai pots from Japan that have texture. There are 1000s more examples from Japan.

I find the Europeans are creating some fantastic bonsai compositions with texture pots and trees.

I don't recall if I see a lot of texture in Chinese bonsai pots.

Pitted-Cream-Glazed-Bonsai-Tree-Pot-By-Tokoname.jpgWorm-Eaten-1st-Gen-Tokoname-Yamaaki-Bonsai-Tree.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think they are beautiful.

The largest disconnect I see with tree use is the "bark" because the trees' bark, but also a "leaf litter" look that wouldn't add up to the tale of the literati ish juniper that may be the only tree appropriate for a shape like this.

Friggin marvelous though.

Right appropriate for accent plants all day.

Sorce

Gaea's listener

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think they are beautiful.

The largest disconnect I see with tree use is the "bark" because the trees' bark, but also a "leaf litter" look that wouldn't add up to the tale of the literati ish juniper that may be the only tree appropriate for a shape like this.

Friggin marvelous though.

Right appropriate for accent plants all day.

Sorce
thank you Sorce

Pyewacket

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Honestly I think it is more along the lines of the practice (of Bonsai) itself opening up to the non-nobility/not-rich-people that has allowed growth in the design of pots for bonsai. In some sense the materials and tools for pottery were MORE, not less, accessible in the past (just less capable from the point of view of repeatability and consistency). The market is much much bigger now.

Also the export of the practice to a wider variety of cultures with different ideas of what is aesthetic.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also... "tiny tree art" is often influenced heavily by local, contemporary ART...

And "The Magic Bus ride" of 1964 cemented North America's COUNTER-culture... which brought with it psychedelic and standard American Art... It's the one THING.. artistically.. that's OURS!!

I feel that American "bonsai" practitioners need to remember this.

I also believe we should look to NATIVE American vessels/artwork for a portion of our inspiration and understanding..

Cause Colonialists BROUGHT ideas... But the inhabitants of The continent already HAD ideas..

Last edited:

Pyewacket

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Best not to make assumptions. I have taught classes for young people and old that have resulted in hundreds of pinch pots. And when you have seen hundreds of pinch pots you will quickly see that most are pretty crappy.

Well of course, they're STUDENT efforts. 🙀

After a long illness and hiatus from clay, I'm not turning out very much that isn't sort of semi-horrifying either. But we get there with practice.

I do have to say, recently in a handbuilding class I saw a student turn out an absolutely STUNNING pinched pitcher. It happens.

And here's some awesome pinched pottery (with coiling as well):

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ya'll are making me want to make pinch-pots.

HAHAHA....

Because Penumbra said "most" look quite terrible...

And I've never once fallen into a "most of" category.

HAHAHAHA!!!

Like others.. I normally "scoff" at pinch pots...

Hmmmm... "scoffs" are "stale"

Maybe it's time to try one again... with ma'new "chops".

🤓

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Percentages people.... be honest with yourselves.
I saw a pinch pot Greek Style urn made by a student at a local college that excelled far beyond anything I have the ability to do myself.
I also saw hundreds that ended up in the trash.
Well of course, they're STUDENT efforts
Duh......
You better hope you never stop being a student.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Percentages people.... be honest with yourselves.
I saw a pinch pot Greek Style urn made by a student at a local college that excelled far beyond anything I have the ability to do myself.
I also saw hundreds that ended up in the trash.

Duh......
You better hope you never stop being a student.
Agreed about percentages..

For the TWO really cool pinch pots I've seen.... I could load a uhaul with poorly constructed, run-of-the-mill, lacking intent... "Pinch Works"

Gaea's listener

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
follow up:
most of those pots sold, which is cool, I haven't seen yet what people planted in them.

Here's the one I tried, I wasn't convinced at first but once the juniper was in it seems quite balanced in this little pot.

I enjoy it, now to keep it alive in the heat of the summer in this tiny pot will be another story

Attachments

• 20220419_112130.jpg
    20220419_112130.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 34

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
follow up:
most of those pots sold, which is cool, I haven't seen yet what people planted in them.

Here's the one I tried, I wasn't convinced at first but once the juniper was in it seems quite balanced in this little pot.

I enjoy it, now to keep it alive in the heat of the summer in this tiny pot will be another story
Very nice!

Gaea's listener

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cracks for texture- black underglaze and iron oxide. Bigger one is a slab with sodium silicate technique to get it crack and smaller is pinch pot with natural cracking as a result

Attachments

• 20230330_162920.jpg
    20230330_162920.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230330_162845.jpg
    20230330_162845.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
@Gaea's listener Nice pots!

I’ve got a couple pots with texture that I like a lot! I’ll share as inspiration.

5E957FA9-158F-4CBF-A7B0-EB5DF4725D01.jpegC84952B7-52D1-4D64-8A16-5B17558B349C.jpeg

These are made by Paul Olson from Clam Alley in Rhode Island.

Attachments

• 0988843E-966F-4FD2-86B0-A050204C8BA3.jpeg
    0988843E-966F-4FD2-86B0-A050204C8BA3.jpeg
    163.5 KB · Views: 5
  • A2B3B62A-F999-4781-B95C-DBBA378E8B96.jpeg
    A2B3B62A-F999-4781-B95C-DBBA378E8B96.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I asked for opinion and I'm grateful to you for sharing your perspective.

I'm glad you perceived how childish and playful they look as I was having lots of fun making them, playing. Not attempting to imitate anique.
I think Leo was referencing the childish nature of Japanese pots in exhibition. Childish as in understated, not works of art in and of themselves. I don’t believe he was insinuating that your pots are childish.

Top Bottom