The 2024 Yamadori/Collecting Thread

Can't do that. The splits usually go 8-12 inches up the trunk. If I split the bottom and cut the trunk real short, I wind up with separate portions of the tree.

Split them, wait for the wounds to heal, and then chop them short?

So I went to the swamp today and dug up two trees to transplant. Right after digging them out, a thunderstorm came rolling in. With lightning all around me, I could not risk planting them so I now have two 2.5-3" trunk BCs. I now have two choices.
1. Split the bottom for big flare and pot them. Some time into the future I will hollow out the base.
2. Chop them super short again and develop shohin BCs.
Your vote: 1 or 2?
Chop Shohin

I vote for carved hollowed shohin then since you shot down my dreams

So I went to the swamp today and dug up two trees to transplant. Right after digging them out, a thunderstorm came rolling in. With lightning all around me, I could not risk planting them so I now have two 2.5-3" trunk BCs. I now have two choices.
1. Split the bottom for big flare and pot them. Some time into the future I will hollow out the base.
Tree 1 and 2
IMG_2102.jpeg
IMG_2103.jpeg
IMG_2107.jpeg

I voted chop super short. I’m glad we were on the same page 😂

One of each?

Well if no one else wants to know I’m full of questions. W5 who what where . What are those big honking trunks ( Hawthorn🤷‍♂️) where did you dig them what are they potted in . Crazy trunks
Yes, they are all hawthorn, collected from local farm hedging, I left the trunks pretty long on cut back in the ground because there is a lot of high up interest in the trunks such as deer rubbing with fat callous etc.

Screenshot_20240506_080500_Gallery.jpg

I plan to air layer some of this interest to make it lower on the trunk, once the trees are established and healthy enough

They are currently potted in pumice and sphagnum moss, top dressed with composted fine bark.

20240314_164346.jpg20240308_134334.jpg

They now get weekly root drench of humic, kelp, b vitamins and HB101.

Thank you for showing an interest!

Yes, they are all hawthorn, collected from local farm hedging, I left the trunks pretty long on cut back in the ground because there is a lot of high up interest in the trunks such as deer rubbing with fat callous etc.

View attachment 544776

I plan to air layer some of this interest to make it lower on the trunk, once the trees are established and healthy enough

They are currently potted in pumice and sphagnum moss, top dressed with composted fine bark.

View attachment 544773View attachment 544774

They now get weekly root drench of humic, kelp, b vitamins and HB101.

Thank you for showing an interest!
NP with the interest always interested in new material and recovery ideas . After all that is the idea here to share success and failure . You can’t be a insane tree digger by yourself . Rejoice in the madness

1000004326.jpg

I'm cross posting here for greater help. Does anyone suspect they know what's going on with the leaves of this persimmon? I'm guessing it's fungal since the tree has been living in a warm humid plastic bag.

View attachment 544929

I'm cross posting here for greater help. Does anyone suspect they know what's going on with the leaves of this persimmon? I'm guessing it's fungal since the tree has been living in a warm humid plastic bag.
Been in full sun or shade? I've had trees do similar from too much sun in the greenhouse because I waited too long to hang shadecloth. Fungal is also a possibility.

Been in full sun or shade? I've had trees do similar from too much sun in the greenhouse because I waited too long to hang shadecloth. Fungal is also a possibility.
It's been in the shade on a covered balcony.

View attachment 544929

It’s probably from contact with the bag. Ive had this on hawthorn l collected before

Back
Top Bottom