The Hemlock (Tsuga) Discussion THREAD.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I noticed some pale and falling leaves on my mountain hemlock this morning. I suspect it’s damage from wiring (and then tweaking with club members). Is there anything I can do limit further damage and aid recovery? (besides ofc the default action of leaving it alone)

Attachments

• IMG_1574.jpeg
    IMG_1574.jpeg
    312 KB · Views: 56

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How to say this nicely? I would remove the wire carefully and slowly. Then I would allow the tree to recover. Remove the dead foliage and broken shoots as they become apparent. When the tree is healthy get assistance from someone with experience in applying wire to Hemlock. I would also recommend copper wire so you can use smaller diameter wire to get the job done. In my opinion because of the way the wire is applied the damage will continue to get worse until it is removed. My apologies for being direct.
It is very important with Mt. Hemlock that the wire be applied correctly and the branches positioned carefully the first time. They do not respond well to overwriting and over bending back and forth.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would also recommend copper wire so you can use smaller diameter wire to get the job done.
This was the tree that made me finally pull the trigger on copper wire. It was very very challenging to work the aluminum on the small branches.
How to say this nicely?…My apologies for being direct.
No apologies necessary, this is exactly the sort of thing I come to this site for. I appreciate the advice.

Most of the tree looks good and healthy. Would you leave the wire on those parts or just the parts and surrounding area where there is clear damage?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This was the tree that made me finally pull the trigger on copper wire. It was very very challenging to work the aluminum on the small branches.

No apologies necessary, this is exactly the sort of thing I come to this site for. I appreciate the advice.

Most of the tree looks good and healthy. Would you leave the wire on those parts or just the parts and surrounding area where there is clear damage?
I would remove it. In order to properly wire it later it will have to be removed. As it is the movement created by the wiring is inconsistent with most styling forms for hemlock. Two much exaggeration in the movement more like juniper styling. hemlock have a more graceful, subtle movement and flow in branching.
Branch placement and form is very important in styling particular species. Sharp turns and twists not so much with Mt. hemlock. Hope that helps.
Of course everyone has the right to choose what works for them and suits their taste. Just offering my point of view.

Last edited:

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm going to offer up my Mt. Hemlock to some suggestions from the forum. The first pic is likely the front and I'm open to suggestions on how to move forward.
MT Hemlock.jpg
MT Hemlock1.jpg
The triangulated apex keeps hitting me in the head and I don't want to miss any other better ideas than that...

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nice looking tree! Branch selection looks like it might be challenging from what I can see.

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I purchased this collected double trunk Western Hemlock last fall (2023). The only thing I've done so far is remove some exposed burlap and excessive dense soil on top of the pot and replaced it with pine mulch for the winter. Currently one of the trees has a few branches that look like they're drying out and curving up. It's never been dry. It lives in partial shade and sun depending on the time of day. It lives at 4000' elevation in a 6b zone and snow on and off throughout all of the winter.

Any thoughts on what could be causing these branches to do this? Only thing I can figure out, possibly blight?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Video showing the branches: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5Y0Jt2xCj_/?igsh=cGNzYWJ3ODBuMmRz

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
How was the soil when you took off the top layer? Did you look at the roots at all?

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How was the soil when you took off the top layer? Did you look at the roots at all?
Dense and moist mix of mountain soil and pine bark. Only looked at the surface roots, didn't dig in further since it was heading into winter and wanted to keep it somewhat protected and not weaken it. I was planning on doing a partial repot with 50% of the roots put into new pumice that I use for most collected trees (pine, larch, juniper etc.).

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I can't find a lot of info on diseases for this tree. I'm wondering if it got soaked for a while and has some root rot...

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I can't find a lot of info on diseases for this tree. I'm wondering if it got soaked for a while and has some root rot...
Same here, couldn't find much. Only thing I could find was an issue called "rhizoctonia"

"Lab tests suggest the likely culprit is a type of fungi known as rhizoctonia, and that drought also plays a role."
Source https://www.heraldnet.com/news/blig...ts have been watching,in other kinds of trees.

This tree was never in drought conditions since collection. Not sure about prior to that.

I think I'll remove the mulch I put on and let it start airing out a bit now that it's slowly warming up around here. See if some oxygen will help.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I purchased this collected double trunk Western Hemlock last fall (2023). The only thing I've done so far is remove some exposed burlap and excessive dense soil on top of the pot and replaced it with pine mulch for the winter. Currently one of the trees has a few branches that look like they're drying out and curving up. It's never been dry. It lives in partial shade and sun depending on the time of day. It lives at 4000' elevation in a 6b zone and snow on and off throughout all of the winter.

Any thoughts on what could be causing these branches to do this? Only thing I can figure out, possibly blight?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Video showing the branches: https://www.instagram.com/p/C5Y0Jt2xCj_/?igsh=cGNzYWJ3ODBuMmRz
I would suspect root issues. The entire tree shows weak foliage from what I can see in the video. the condition is such that I would consider an emergency repot this spring. By that I mean a more aggressive repot than usual for hemlocks just to give it a better chance at survival. the actual process would depend on what is found when one gets the tree out of the pot. Essentially deal with the weakest areas first even if that involves a segmented approach. Pumice is a good choice but will require more frequent watering. My preference would be to deal with the bottom sections first including the central core. Leaving the top surface area as undisturbed as possible. but still able to drain. I would attempt 1/3 to 1/2 depending on the root condition. Remove a;; dead roots, larger rocks, bark chips and soggy compacted soil that can be done without disturbing the top matt of finer roots if possible.

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would suspect root issues. The entire tree shows weak foliage from what I can see in the video. the condition is such that I would consider an emergency repot this spring. By that I mean a more aggressive repot than usual for hemlocks just to give it a better chance at survival. the actual process would depend on what is found when one gets the tree out of the pot. Essentially deal with the weakest areas first even if that involves a segmented approach. Pumice is a good choice but will require more frequent watering. My preference would be to deal with the bottom sections first including the central core. Leaving the top surface area as undisturbed as possible. but still able to drain. I would attempt 1/3 to 1/2 depending on the root condition. Remove a;; dead roots, larger rocks, bark chips and soggy compacted soil that can be done without disturbing the top matt of finer roots if possible.
Thank you... I will probably proceed with an emergency partial repot. I use pumice quite a bit and have a few different mixes depending on the type of collected tree to make sure it can hold enough or less moisture. I'm in the high desert so it's pretty dry and need to compensate for that.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Pics of the partial repot would help too...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you... I will probably proceed with an emergency partial repot. I use pumice quite a bit and have a few different mixes depending on the type of collected tree to make sure it can hold enough or less moisture. I'm in the high desert so it's pretty dry and need to compensate for that.
Partial shade, avoid windy location if possible. Hemlock scorch easily. Bend, Oregon and high desert does not seem like a match? Are there two Bend, Oregon.s ?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Partial shade, avoid windy location if possible. Hemlock scorch easily. Bend, Oregon and high desert does not seem like a match? Are there two Bend, Oregon.s ?
Looked it up myself! Wow Sagebrush and wester juniper as invasive species. Maybe the area is not so suitable for Hemlock!

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I was just researching this as well! I agree with your assessment, Frank...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was just researching this as well! I agree with your assessment, Frank...
A bit confusing the description and the climatic zone 6B. Must be elevation and day night temperature variation. I know Hemlock does not do well in heat and dry conditions. Typically they gradually weaken over a number of years if the area is unsuitable. Western are likely more tolerant than Mountain hemlock due to the lower elevation of their natural terrain. Still they mention 100 degree days in the summer in some of the write-ups. have to wait and hear from the residents of the area if Hemlock does well in that location.

Top Bottom