Todd Schlafer workshop... and my Douglas fir

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey everybody.
This weekend was the Todd schlafer workshop at my local club. I didn't have any trees really to do a workshop like this so I went ahead and ordered this beautiful old Douglas fir from @arcina at chobomsaiyamadori.com.
Gothe it for a great price and it turned out great after Todd and I worked on it.
Here's the day I recieved the tree.20170302_173407.jpg
Gorgeous old bark20170302_110405.jpg
At the workshop Todd and I discussed the tree for a few minutes then he set me to work on the tree. It took about 3 hours to wire everything, then I started seating the main structure of the tree. Once I was finished Todd came and helped me set the branching. It was very cool watching him compact this very leggy old tree into something beautiful!
Here's the only decent pic I got before heading home20170325_195611.jpg
And here it is this morning, 20170326_074748.jpg unfortunately I bumped a few smaller branches getting it and my old pondy in the car. Talk about having the scariest car ride ever having 2 150+ year old trees riding shotgun and in the back seat.

I was extremely happy that there were only 2 placed on the entire tree that he fealt I could anchor and wire a bit better, which isn't bad for something with this much branches!:D just need to keep practicing.
All in all I had a great time and definitely recommend anyone to work with Todd, great guy, and work.

Aaron

Attachments

• 20170325_082353.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice old tree! I assume these bud back well with lots of fert and sun, which should be the goal with the foliage. Are you repotting this year? I'd be inclined to if the tree is healthy and you didn't whack off to much canopy, at least to see what's going on and reduce or remove the mounding, which can't be good for the surface roots.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice old tree! I assume these bud back well with lots of fert and sun, which should be the goal with the foliage. Are you repotting this year? I'd be inclined to if the tree is healthy and you didn't whack off to much canopy, at least to see what's going on and reduce or remove the mounding, which can't be good for the surface roots.
It was collected in the spring or 2016 so it'll stay in this pot for this season, repot next. These do bud back pretty well in my climate. The tree is very healthy at this point, but I would rather be safe then sorry. Thanks for the comment.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is that the originali pot it was put in post collection? The surface roots need to be buried... maybe build a circular screen barrier around the edge of the pot and back fill with pumice.
It is, that's a good idea, I keep the soil pretty moist in my climate as they don't like dry and hot lol so the surface roots are kept moist and are actually buried at this time. But I'll still probably take your recommendation that way some new roots will grow in the top (maybe) and assist in getting it into a nice pot sooner (again maybe lol).

Aaron

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome tree Aaron! Great that you got to take it to a workshop with an experienced artist as well. You are getting a nice collection of old trees!

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The quality of your trees went up a lot the past year. I've been getting some better trees myself. By the end of this year I should have some money saved up and will treat myself to one nice juniper.

Tree definitely needs to be compacted and I'm not to big of a fan of the rainbow bends on the right. I've heard that Doug fir back buds well too so that should be no issue.

Top Bottom