too late to air layer a japanese maple?

tantric

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i would think it is, but then i read how fast they put on roots. it's a fantastic tree, and if i don't get a cutting this summer, i won't get one at all. i'm in GA, USA, btw.

Goergia isn't one uniform climate, but you're likely a zone 8a/b. Layer before mid-June and you've got a good chance of succeeding. If you don't have an abundant number of layer roots by the end of September, I suggest you leave it on the tree until next year. The worst that can happen is those roots get frozen and the layer starts regrowing roots next season - just leave everything in place.

Well, actually the worst thing that might happen is that you lose the branch, but not because of 'being late'. It is a bit complicated to explain and maybe should be left as shit happens sometimes. But barring this, I am unequivocal about what I said above.

Agreed! It is definitely not too late at all. I have done layers and separated them in as little as 6 weeks. They are easy to do specially if you're layering a standard green Japanese maple. Other "fancier" varieties is a crap shoot really. It can take a lot longer to never, but it does not sound like that's what you're dealing with??

Make sure you use proper technique and you shall have success! ;)

Here in zone 7 GA, I've started layers well into June and all were easily separated by early September. I'm planning on starting a few toward the end of June and maybe into July. I suspect they'll all be separated by the end of September without a problem.

Yeah, I agree- deff not too late! Might even be able to separate it before the end of August if it grows roots quickly.

I highly recommend the method I used this year to get fast root production- ring the bark like normal, add rooting hormone and cut a little nursery pot so you can affix it over the branch, wire it into place and fill with perlite- 100% perlite or maybe 95% perlite with a little bonsai soil mixed in- then water daily just like it is it's own tree... Mine made big healthy roots in just a couple months- already separated two this year!

[humor] mission summary: it was no ordinary japanese maple - in fact, it was a cyberpunk ninja japanese maple disguised as an ordinary japanese maple. when i began to flay the bark, it unleashed a swarm of hyperallergenic nanobots that very nearly gray goo'd my left eye. ha! try that ninja crap on a ranger-jedi will you? i used the force and completed the air layer using my psychic senses (and one good eye). nevertheless, saiba-ninja-no-ki was a formidable and honorable opponent, and i now have enough XP to get my first level in druid.[/humor]

did *anyone* find that amusing?????

[humor] mission summary: it was no ordinary japanese maple - in fact, it was a cyberpunk ninja japanese maple disguised as an ordinary japanese maple. when i began to flay the bark, it unleashed a swarm of hyperallergenic nanobots that very nearly gray goo'd my left eye. ha! try that ninja crap on a ranger-jedi will you? i used the force and completed the air layer using my psychic senses (and one good eye). nevertheless, saiba-ninja-no-ki was a formidable and honorable opponent, and i now have enough XP to get my first level in druid.[/humor]

Humor/Be carefull on the drugs man, that shit can kill you /humor

I found it amusing five years later. Took that long for your joke to put out roots I guess.

Back
Top Bottom