Tupelo #1

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Starting a specific thread to document this tree. I've posted it in other combination posts- please ignore. This tree has survived two years post collection, so I feel comfortable with logging ongoing styling. This thread will serve as an ongoing journal, as well as for input.

This Tupelo was collected from a trash heap at the Jersey Shore- the property owner discarded it, and I immediately saw the magnificent bark and lack of anything else. I wasn't sure this tree would survive, but it seems to be doing alright. I am very excited with the number of shoots it has thrown from the main trunk, and I cannot wait to do more work on it this spring.

IMG_8772.JPGIMG_8773.JPGIMG_0084.JPGIMG_5105.JPGIMG_5104.JPGIMG_5103.JPG

The top of this tree never branched out after collecting, so it will be chopped off this spring. I'm planning to repot in an Anderson flat and select a few branches for development.

DSC_2313.JPGDSC_2314.JPG

We have the water tupelo here. I marked one this year but was concerned it may have a long tap root and not many surface roots. What did the root structure look like on yours?

We have the water tupelo here. I marked one this year but was concerned it may have a long tap root and not many surface roots. What did the root structure look like on yours?
When I collected it, I had a tap root and one long feeder root. I hacked the crap out of the tap root, potted, and hoped for the best. When I repotted this year, it looked great- lots of good root growth

Yours is looking good. I dug the one I'd marked and, sure enough, had a couple of big tap roots with almost no feeder roots. I just pulled it up......no new roots at all.

Cut back the trunk a bit for a cleaner heal, and applied cut paste. Not sure this is a Tupelo after all
E9CB0EA6-657C-4676-B193-31ABFEC90BA0.jpeg

Attachments

• B11D20C4-1F60-4D9A-9EF6-2BA6254B4CFC.jpeg
    B11D20C4-1F60-4D9A-9EF6-2BA6254B4CFC.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5
I have trouble telling tupelo from persimmon locally. The trunk does have the dark color of a persimmon. I do like that diagonal view as a possible front.

DSC_4635.JPG
dsc_4634-jpg.438083

Attachments

• DSC_4634.JPG
    DSC_4634.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 99
Pretty cool to see a thick one like that! I picked up a much more "stick" like sylvatica last summer and it's growing pretty well, I haven't messed with the roots much besides a light combing and up pot though. Love the old looking bark on that. The one I have still has pretty smooth grey/white bark.

Pretty cool to see a thick one like that! I picked up a much more "stick" like sylvatica last summer and it's growing pretty well, I haven't messed with the roots much besides a light combing and up pot though. Love the old looking bark on that. The one I have still has pretty smooth grey/white bark.
I collected this with very few roots remaining, and it's done pretty well so far. The bark was the first draw for me

Back
Top Bottom