What it the most you have ever spent on a bonsai garden/greenhouse? (results will be anonymous)

The description might be a little too broad? It is hard to define what a "garden" is, for example, and people tend to add to them every year (versus making a single purchase).
I am going to consider it as everything related to bonsai. Tree matter, pots, benches, infrastructure, greenhouse, man shed, soil, etc.

not going to count the kilns or pottery studio in this one 😂

So basically everything bonsai related that one's ownership of......This one is going to be fun.

Last autumn I bought a cheap poly tunnel greenhouse (size: 2x3m) to protect my most precious trees from too much rain.
Because I wanted good ventilation inside the greenhouse I opted for one with mesh windows and a roll up option for the side walls.

I kept the windows open and the walls rolled up the entire winter without any problems.
I will probably take down the greenhouse at the end of February and use it again next winter.

I paid around € 100 for this greenhouse (after unpacking the greenhouse I got an extra discount because one of the poles had 2 small dents in it).

aLB98a18183bb60a1.jpg

I would love to see photos of the kilns and studio!!

Separately... I wonder if I should include the koi pond and koi :)
Jealous of the pond! We had one but filled it in, it was in the sunniest part of the yard and not made well so it was difficult to maintain, and we worried about Phoebe falling in... since kidsarent allowed back there anyway it would be nice to put one back in, but no space for it to go. 🥲

Since my greenhouse is used for more than just my few tropical bonsais (orchids, citrus trees, tropical trees, brugmansia, and starting vegetable, herb, perennial and annual flower seeds) and it's attached to the east end of our house: I'm on the upper end of these price brackets.

At some point, you hit a valuation where you could become a nursery....
I hit that years ago. We are currently renting a house while we build a new house on our property. When we moved in, neighbors on both sides of me asked "are you a nursery"?

I’ll bite -

Benches and arbours (wood and concrete block with bark mulch and (free) used brick paths: $400
Potting and Wiring area (wood deck, work bench & shelves, turntable and overhead heater): $500
Tools and supplies (bonsai tools, shovels, saws, dremel w/ case and bits, shade cloth, sieves, grow boxes, baskets, hoses, wands, auto- water system, probably a million other things), I’m gonna say: $1500
Trees, pots, ferts and soils are ongoing expenses, but maybe to date (I’ve been doing this for 5 yrs): $1200
8x12 Glass greenhouse: $9000
Koi pond (lol): $10,000

Did all of the building work myself and a lot of things were scrounged for free.

Total: $22,600

Latest quote on a 20x24 Dakota
Screenshot_20240207-085110.png

I have lost track of the exact total cost because all of the things I am going to list were purchased over the last 5 to 10 years.

My bonsai related expenses which would include benches, garden cart/wagon to carry the trees around, cold frame, bonsai stand to work on them and repotting bench (note: I am NOT including trees and normal bonsai tools) would be over $1000 and less than $2000.

1000005981.jpg
$1300 slab
$7000 cedar shed kit
Two months of weekends to build
Too many neighbors asking if it was going to be an Air BnB, sauna, chicken coop, she-shed.

For comparison here is my first ever bonsai work area from when I was a weirdo kid age 13-15. That is an old dog kennel with no roof and walls made of chicken wire.
1000009887.jpg

Back
Top Bottom