What tools do you need?

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
I am in the works of starting a website selling tools, some pots, and some trees. The tools will be Kaneshin and Masakuni. What would you like to see on the site? What would you buy?

Wouldn't anything from Texas be too big for Bonsai. Lol.

If I found Kaneshin tools for say, 20% less, I would still order direct, I'm huge on service.

Sorce

If I found Kaneshin tools for say, 20% less, I would still order direct, I'm huge on service.

Sorce

Well. Our bonsai are bigger here too.

S

Not to play into the pun.

But larger concave cutters. Say with a 5" cutting surface and 3-4' worth of handle.

Sorce

Actually, I would not be able to sell 20% cheaper than direct. However, my value proposition is in the service. You would have someone stateside that can answer your questions and handle your service requests in a timely manner. I assure you, customer service is out top priority.

For almost everything Masakuni and Kaneshin, we can beat in price, if not by a lot, then by a little. The other thing is if you can't find, for example, the Masakuni tool you are specifically looking for, I can get anything off of the Masakuni line.

Not to play into the pun.

But larger concave cutters. Say with a 5" cutting surface and 3-4' worth of handle.

I suggest finding your local Caterpillar or John Deere dealership for something the size ;)

However, if you were wanting to get Kaneshin #5 (their largest concave cutter), I am going to be selloing it for about $75.

I am a new guy, so I may have bought an Edsel. However, I bought this set off of Amazon about 5 months ago and it seems to be sufficient.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanwood-Bons...d=1416578470&sr=8-2&keywords=bonsai+tools+kit

Only about 70 bucks

I bought a similar set when I first started out. You'll find that as you work with more trees, you'll need better quality tools. But that's a good price for a lot of stuff!

Everything i've seen state side or on ebay fornkaneshin has been way more than direct ordering. The shipping charges for domestic shipping has been higher than what kaneshin charges to ship from japan, and the shipping time no shorter than direct ordering. If you can beat the price of direct ordering, i'll buy from you. Timely shipping and customer service have not been an issue with kaneshin for me. Under a week from japan to PA.

How about a true and realistic beginners set of tools and not sets with un-needed items. Should only include items such as: ARS scissors, concave cutters, 1-prong root hook, and possibly wire cutters and pliers. Forget about scissors that a beginner has never seen or soil brushes, or big tweezers or saws, or ...............

Always being available, automatically providing information on order, shipping and then followup with an email for "how did we do" in short great service will often overcome basic prices, which of course draw customers in the first place.

And that is just my 1.3 cents worth.

Everything i've seen state side or on ebay fornkaneshin has been way more than direct ordering. The shipping charges for domestic shipping has been higher than what kaneshin charges to ship from japan, and the shipping time no shorter than direct ordering. If you can beat the price of direct ordering, i'll buy from you. Timely shipping and customer service have not been an issue with kaneshin for me. Under a week from japan to PA.

It's strange how much they charge to ship within the US! I am looking into the cheapest and fastest way to ship right now. At the moment, I am looking into USPS flat rate and Fedex ground. But I can assure you I can offer lower prices. If you are wanting to order something that is not it stock, it will take a little longer to ship out (up to a week) but I would certainly make it worth your while with price savings.

How about a true and realistic beginners set of tools and not sets with un-needed items. Should only include items such as: ARS scissors, concave cutters, 1-prong root hook, and possibly wire cutters and pliers. Forget about scissors that a beginner has never seen or soil brushes, or big tweezers or saws, or ...............

Always being available, automatically providing information on order, shipping and then followup with an email for "how did we do" in short great service will often overcome basic prices, which of course draw customers in the first place.

And that is just my 1.3 cents worth.

Since, I am only going to carry quality tools, I am not sure how possible it will be to offer a cheap beginner's set. My philosophy is, if I sell tools, and they break leaving an unhappy customer. The only way to bypass that is to carry tools that won't break. Perhaps I can package some tools together as a set and off them as an "essentials" set?

I am working hard on setting up an automated infrastructure to allow for the most feedback and service to the customer. It is a bit difficult without shelling out a ton of money but I will manually send every email if needed.

Q -

Next in my list are the stainless Masakuni spherical knob cutters. Can you get a them? Large/small? Shipping to Houston should be cheap. Maybe I'll be your first customer.

Scott

Q -

Next in my list are the stainless Masakuni spherical knob cutters. Can you get a them? Large/small? Shipping to Houston should be cheap. Maybe I'll be your first customer.

Scott

Yes I can. I can get anything on the Masakuni line. Do you know the product number? Shoot me an email.

And yes, for the extra level of customer service I will even hand deliver them to you ;)

I think a cheap tool beginners set may be a good idea. When I began working as a mechani my first job I went to harbor freight spent about $300, gotaton of cheap tools. These were cheap tools that got me started. Now since I was using them every day the quickly began to fail, become uncormfortable, or get bent out of shape. Slowly paycheck by paycheck I replaced these tools 1 by 1 until by the end of 3 years I had well cleared the 5k mark of investing in my tools. Only difference between bonsai and my tools is mine were used to paythe bills,
As this relates to beginners. Being able to get a cheap set is important.. depending of course.... But the cheap set lites a fire and reassures the person that yes this is something I enjoy and want to spend money on. When their ready they'll come to you.

Good to hear Q. Great service is a must!

I like Doug's idea about a beginner set of necessities. I never need everything in a set either.
Maybe a beginner offer of 3 tools for 10-15% off all. And let US choose which. All we are really looking for is a package deal on what we need anyway.

However. I don't believe in them being cheap tools.....(not that you will carry any)

When I worked at Guitar Center, it was explained with guitars.....
You can sell a beginner a $200 guitar that sounds ok, always needs to be tuned, and isn't too comfortable....but that won't keep a beginner playing.

A $2,000 guitar, sounds excellent, holds tuning longer, is comfortable to hold, and is much more appropriate for a beginner. It makes beginning easier, and keeps it fun!

Same goes for tools.

I look forward to the site.

Sorce

I like Doug's idea about a beginner set of necessities. I never need everything in a set either.
Maybe a beginner offer of 3 tools for 10-15% off all. And let US choose which. All we are really looking for is a package deal on what we need anyway.
Sorce

Great idea.

Good to hear Q. Great service is a must!

However. I don't believe in them being cheap tools.....(not that you will carry any)

When I worked at Guitar Center, it was explained with guitars.....
You can sell a beginner a $200 guitar that sounds ok, always needs to be tuned, and isn't too comfortable....but that won't keep a beginner playing.

A $2,000 guitar, sounds excellent, holds tuning longer, is comfortable to hold, and is much more appropriate for a beginner. It makes beginning easier, and keeps it fun!

Same goes for tools.

I look forward to the site.

Sorce

This explanation came from the manager I bet ! :D I am sure he would push selling some poor beginner who may or may not have talent or the ability/time to learn music a $2000 guitar, and be happy to buy it back from him 3-6 months later for about $200.;) Who said "There's a sucker born every minute." Makes you wonder how most the greats got started with cheap ass guitars ?

ed

This explanation came from the manager I bet ! :D I am sure he would push selling some poor beginner who may or may not have talent or the ability/time to learn music a $2000 guitar, and be happy to buy it back from him 3-6 months later for about $200.;) Who said "There's a sucker born every minute." Makes you wonder how most the greats got started with cheap ass guitars ?

ed

Cheap guitars don't sound great or stay in tune but they won't bend or break after a few uses. Cheap tools do depending on use.

Regardless, I could make a lot more money selling cheap tools. A "beginner" set of 12 tools being sold for $70 would cost about $20 for me. But I won't sacrifice quality and trust for a quick buck :)

Last edited:
A cheap bolt on neck will bend, hence, out of tune.

A beginner quits from good guitar, could sell it himself for 1800. Out 200.

A beginner advances from bad guitar, then buys 2k and throws away...200.

Same outcome.

Sorry Q.

Any potters on board yet?

Sorce

A cheap bolt on neck will bend, hence, out of tune.

A beginner quits from good guitar, could sell it himself for 1800. Out 200.

A beginner advances from bad guitar, then buys 2k and throws away...200.

Same outcome.

Sorry Q.

Any potters on board yet?

Sorce

I will be supplying handmade high end chinese pots. The reason for this decision is, Japanese pots are really expensive and few people will shell out $400 for a pot. The pots I sourced are very high quality and I find them to be an incredible value. Poik has a few from me, he seems to really like them.

Ok, as for beginner's set. since many people have asked for them, I am willing to provide. They will be Kikuwa, and will come with a turn table, scissors, pliers, fertilizer covers, pliers, and a bag. All for about $100.

It would be difficult to beat direct ordering from Kaneshin in my experiences with them. They reply within 24 hours to emails, and the items I bought shipped from Japan to Macon,Georgia in less than a week if you pay a little extra for expedited shipping. If as a dealer are allowed to "clone" the Kaneshin web pages, there are some translations that could be improved with better English. I like Kaneshin tools.

My two cents worth...

Back
Top Bottom