Where did superfly get Haydite from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
See attached image with search for "buildex expanded shale".
None of these are images of Buildex Haydite, which according to another poster, is trademarked by Buildex. Did you do a quick search?

All of your links are images of expanded shale. Never said I had an issue finding images of that. I can't find an image of Buildex Haydite.
When you said "What you have is haydite.", did you mean to say "What you have is expanded shale."?

Interestingly enough, the only image that looks exactly like what I have is from this forum, but it's Permatil, lol. (second image)

Also, Superfly used to advertise theirs as "Super-Haydite". But...what makes it "Super"? Just marketing gimmicks? Maybe...but maybe not... It may be expanded shale that was in a kiln longer or a higher temperature. Or a different material than Buildex Haydite. Since it was still Expanded Shale, they could have just lied and put the Haydite name on it. Or they could have not not the difference like many on this forum and just called any similar material "Haydite". I could be wrong, but I don't think Buildex sells a Super-Haydite.
Jesus. No they're not, but for crying out loud, this stuff is pretty much the same as the idiotic Holy Grail Superfly BS you see so obsessed with. IF you'd open your damn eyes, maybe you'd see what Superfly was selling wasn't the end all for this ingredient.

I looked into Natures’s Creation Expanded Shale, but interestingly enough, there are also zero pictures of it on the entire internet lol.
They don't make expanded shale, they only distribute it.

I believe the only manufacturer of expanded shale in Texas is Arcosa Lightweight.

Now if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, Superfly Bonsai was located in Harrisburg, PA. Would they be bringing their expanded shale in from the Midwest? Possibly. But it is just as likely that they were using a supplier as close to home as possible, and the closest supplier of expanded shale to PA is Norlite - based in Albany, NY. They don't make Haydite... the name of their product is Norlite.

FWIW the expanded shale product that Superfly Bonsai sold was called "Superdite" which I have not seen anywhere else. They describe it as "Superdite - Expanded Shale - Black Haydite" and I leave it up to you all to decipher what that might mean.

Last edited:
They don't make expanded shale, they only distribute it.

I believe the only manufacturer of expanded shale in Texas is Arcosa Lightweight.
This makes sense. The Arcosa lightweight looks identical to the Nature's Creation bag.
But the Superfly looks completely different to me.

Interestingly, a company I contacted suggested it may be Northeast Solite / Northeast Hydrocure...

Of course...there are NO IMAGES of Solite on the internet...lmfao...
But there's one of Hydrocure...which does look extremely similar... At least more similar than Arcosa Expanded Shale...
1714846541033.png

Good Lord. :rolleyes: Do you even know if Superfly was mixing his own soil or buying it already made?...Even so, there are dozens of alternatives that are just as good or better. That what you're after. I've used Superfly's soil. It was OK. From looking at it, my intuition is that he wasn't making his own. I can get better soil (with haydite, expanded shale) from a local bonsai nursery who gets it from a distributor...The source of that isn't really germane to me since I don't want to buy haydite in bulk and don't have a hundred trees.

I have to ask what EXACTLY is it about the superfly stuff you need for your mix?

in the UK we don't use haydite so I don't even know what properties it brings to the mix

I have to ask what EXACTLY is it about the superfly stuff you need for your mix?

in the UK we don't use haydite so I don't even know what properties it brings to the mix
I'm just looking for it without trying to get into yet another soil wars argument.

BillsBayou said he would ask superfly to see if he has the same source, but I haven’t heard back, hence the bump.
I'm still waiting for answers to my questions. However, if you want it from me, I can send you 1/2-cf (approx 3.5 gallons or 14 quarts) of "haydite" (expanded shale) for $55, shipping included anywhere in the continental USofA. The same goes for red lava, black lava, or red&black lava blended together. $55 gets you a box on your doorstep.

Here's my haydite:
IMG_9033.JPEG
1/8" to 1/4" in size. This photo shows the haydite rather clean. Haydite generates its own dust during shipping. It travelled a good ways before getting to me and was seriously dusty. Not photogenic. On my 4K monitor, these granules look enormous. But on my phone they're tiny. Go figure.

IMG_9035 (1).JPEG
These are some larger particles I selected to crack open. Someone in the thread said it might be a good idea to show the media cracked open. I picked the largest to crack because the small ones get stuck in my teeth.

IMG_9037 (1).JPEG
I may have chipped a couple teeth doing this. Instead of hearing one note when I whistle, I now whistle in chords. Part of the $55 might go to dental work. The chords need to be tuned.

IMG_9039.JPEG
I wanted to use a banana for scale, but I eated it.

IMG_9040 (1).JPEG
This is what it looks like wet. So sexy. I used natural spring water for this photo. Tap would not do.

I'm running a sale. Buy 5 boxes for $550, and I'll send you 5 more boxes for free. That's 10 boxes for $550.00 What a deal!

My coffee tasted funny this morning. Then I woke up at work. My wife may have roofied me. Maybe it was me. I forget.

I'm still waiting for answers to my questions. However, if you want it from me, I can send you 1/2-cf (approx 3.5 gallons or 14 quarts) of "haydite" (expanded shale) for $55, shipping included anywhere in the continental USofA. The same goes for red lava, black lava, or red&black lava blended together. $55 gets you a box on your doorstep.

Here's my haydite:
View attachment 544880
1/8" to 1/4" in size. This photo shows the haydite rather clean. Haydite generates its own dust during shipping. It travelled a good ways before getting to me and was seriously dusty. Not photogenic. On my 4K monitor, these granules look enormous. But on my phone they're tiny. Go figure.

View attachment 544890
These are some larger particles I selected to crack open. Someone in the thread said it might be a good idea to show the media cracked open. I picked the largest to crack because the small ones get stuck in my teeth.

View attachment 544891
I may have chipped a couple teeth doing this. Instead of hearing one note when I whistle, I now whistle in chords. Part of the $55 might go to dental work. The chords need to be tuned.

View attachment 544883
I wanted to use a banana for scale, but I eated it.

View attachment 544892
This is what it looks like wet. So sexy. I used natural spring water for this photo. Tap would not do.

I'm running a sale. Buy 5 boxes for $550, and I'll send you 5 more boxes for free. That's 10 boxes for $550.00 What a deal!

My coffee tasted funny this morning. Then I woke up at work. My wife may have roofied me. Maybe it was me. I forget.
Thanks for the response!
Where is this from (if you don’t mind me asking)?

Is this actual Buildex Haydite? It may be the only pictures on the whole internet lol.

Unfortunately it doesn’t look like what superfly used. (To me.) I’m starting to think what they used wasn’t actually haydite at all. May be why they won’t respond to anyone asking about it.

So who has a portable x-ray diffractometer, an IR and Raman spectrometer, a x-ray fluorimeter, and perhaps an inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometer for us to really find out what this whole haydite business is about.
I forgot. Surface area and porosity matter. Better add on a nitrogen porosimeter for good measure.

So who has a portable x-ray diffractometer, an IR and Raman spectrometer, a x-ray fluorimeter, and perhaps an inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometer for us to really find out what this whole haydite business is about.
I need proof of who manufactured spectrometer before I can trust it.

I forgot. Surface area and porosity matter. Better add on a nitrogen porosimeter for good measure.
One company I contacted actually told me to test the absorption of it. But I don’t know how to do that accurately. I’m sure my readings would be all over the place.

Superfly got his from the northeast US. Buildex, I think, is Kansas. Every manufacturer gets their shale or clay from a pit behind their plants in several states. It's usually coal-fired in gigantic tumbling kilns. I've seen them roll. Impressive and noisy.

I used to get mine from a plant in Louisiana. The same company now uses their Alabama plant. There is a difference to me, but none of my regular customers have complained. Those people have 30+ years of bonsai experience. Each.

How long have you been in bonsai and where are you located? Both usually affect attitudes towards substrates.

Way off in the distance are the kilns.
exported_CD772A42-2FBF-47CD-9D8B-2A9281D1883A.jpeg

Many sizes for many uses.
exported_E837C3C7-DF23-472B-BC0E-5A294B8676A1.jpeg

Here comes my haydite.
exported_29EE13CA-9364-4030-9E70-89EEF2F9757D.jpeg

Very inefficient way to load a bag. I used to pay 1/5th the price when they would just dump it in my trailer. Bastards.
exported_9FB44626-6AEB-4410-9D1D-0C37F4F074F0.jpeg

Me at home:

Very inefficient way to load a bag. I used to pay 1/5th the price when they would just dump it in my trailer. Bastards.
When I was talking to the stalite/permatil guys, they used to load pickup trucks, but they broke a couple of axles and so no longer do this. To pick up bulk loads you need a weight-rated trailer or a dump truck.

P.S. Are you married? Was your wife involved in this unloading procedure? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom