Wild Apple Collected

people should say things to this effect: "this was my experience and here are my results, etc" blanket statements are often debatable. .

(statements, advice, and experiences are all fine and well and it only turns "toxic" when someone calls another persons advice "foolish". If that is the language you prefer to use then how can you be surprised at the direction things take.)

Point well taken. Just to clarify, I mean for me to do that is foolish (pointing to myself) since I know (or believe) it is not to the tree's well being. Thanks.

Sure, I'll do that. LOL :rolleyes:

I bet there are folks out there who are afraid to talk (decide to lurk instead) because of what they see I have to go through. This environment is toxic instead of inviting and nurturing for creative thinking for better bonsai.

To the contrary, I find this environment quite polite and supportive which is why I decided to join in instead of lurking like I used to. I think you are out of line and owe the many good people here an apology.

First post here, looking for some help.

I've had my eye on a Wild Apple growing on the back 40 of my neighbors property for a few years now. I knew he had planned to start logging back there within the next couple weeks, so I figured now was my chance to get the ol' girl before she got plowed over. I asked him about it, and sure enough there was absolutely no issue with me digging it up.

I got very lucky with this tree... It was growing in about 5" of muck soil, on top of a dense rock bed. The root system is extremely compact (compared to what I am used to around here) and well on it's way towards development.

My question, and the only real problem I'm having, is how far back to trim the 30x30 inch root spread. I had thought about constructing a grow box, and just leaving the tree to its own devices for a year or two, but if i could get away with trimming the root ball back a bit, it would save me a major headache (and backache)

Also curious if I should trim the suckers now, or wait until the tree heals up before I do any "branch" removal.

Thanks in advance!
FL

View attachment 35414
View attachment 35415
Well, its up to you if how would you trim the root you must have to control it also. And I think, you have to observed what is the flow.

Let's put it in human perspective.

Say you need to have your intestine shortened by 4 feet...you ask your doctor to do the operation but shorten it only by 2 feet for now and when your body recovered and adjusted you will come back a year or two to have another operation to cut the other 2 feet. Is that logical? :confused:

Really doesn't make sense to me.

Not even close as an analogy, when you chop and leave a stub for dieback there is usually nothing to a few buds that pop out, removing that later is not an issue, unless that is all the foliage that you end up with. If you chop at the level the tree needs to be and you get die back you end up having to regrow part of the bottom section of the tree, this is not the optimal way to work.

I am not telling anyone to NOT do it another way...I am only showing an option. They can throw their tree to the fire if they want to (though I hope they won't).

And yes, that is my personal take. If another method is longer and riskier (as I see it)...TO ME (for me) to do that is foolish.

But when you toss this info at another newb what will they think, how will they deal with countering suggestions. Yes at some point you say well this is my experiance do what you will, but when you come off as a know it all(you do) the uninitiated tend to gather at the one making the most noise. You scoff at tried and true"knowing better", knowing better is something not boasted about usually, shoveling experiments at a newb is counter productive.

But when you toss this info at another newb what will they think, how will they deal with countering suggestions. Yes at some point you say well this is my experiance do what you will, but when you come off as a know it all(you do) the uninitiated tend to gather at the one making the most noise. You scoff at tried and true"knowing better", knowing better is something not boasted about usually, shoveling experiments at a newb is counter productive.
I say what I believe is true and works for me. Whether I have a year of experience or 20 is irrelevant. I know people who work on their hobbies for decades who knows almost nothing about the hobby...they just enjoy it.

Knowledge and learning is never counter productive...how you use it is. And yes, one critical thing a newbie need to learn is to properly screen information since there are a lot of bad information out everywhere.

You want to drown my noise down? Contribute more. ;)

By the way. let's talk about the things that matter....bonsai. Which of my points do you disagree with?

Not even close as an analogy, when you chop and leave a stub for dieback there is usually nothing to a few buds that pop out, removing that later is not an issue, unless that is all the foliage that you end up with. If you chop at the level the tree needs to be and you get die back you end up having to regrow part of the bottom section of the tree, this is not the optimal way to work.

You use the word "stub" as if it is an inch or so. Read the thread and everywhere else. Some are advocating 8" or more. In my experience all the growth will be on that top 4" (maybe less) that if you chop to your desired point later...nothing (yes NOTHING) will be left of the new growth.

Different views, sure. Were your views, for example, on tenting a JBP valid? Very doubtful.

I have a JBP cutting right now...tented. I will tell you later if it dies. It is just a branch I chopped and decided to stick in a small pot. Tented to increase humidity. A big disadvantage to me but hey, I will report to you what happens. :)
As promised. Just to let you know that the cutting was doing great for 4 months under the "tent". Needles stayed vibrant green. About 3 weeks ago, I decided to remove the tent...needles slowly turned brown after a week or two and eventually the cutting died. inconclusive experiment and I am still not sold that tenting is a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom