Would you repot these 2 JBPs?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Repotted into these relatively small ( but not shallow) pots this year.
Curious if I should repot next year (spring)

Soil is very fast draining. They are doing fine in these pots it seems.

Cut candles aren't showing any new buds or activity other than an initial cut bleed.

2 pines.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No I wouldn't because they don't need to be from the information provided.

How long ago did you cut candles?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How long of a stub did you leave when cutting? And no I wouldn’t repot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ok my Thought would be to give it time and heavily fertilize.

Of the 3 components of fertilizer (N-P-K) which is more essential for bud and backbud?
I generally fertilize all my trees with fish emulsion.
Since this thread, I have added some Miracle Grow to bump the N.
Is this good?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Of the 3 components of fertilizer (N-P-K) which is more essential for bud and backbud?
I generally fertilize all my trees with fish emulsion.
Since this thread, I have added some Miracle Grow to bump the N.
Is this good?
If you have recently decandled, don’t start fertilizing until you see needles on the new shoots. Fertilizing too early will stimulate the tree to make longer internodes. Part of the benefit of decandling is the new shoots will have short internodes, but fertilizing too soon after decandling will negate this! Once needles appear, the internode length is set, and it’s ok to fertilize.

I use organic fertilizer that feeds with each watering. Like bio gold. There are several you can use. They’re slow release. Fish emulsion is ok, too, but secondary to the biogold.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Racist!

Repot em and stop using miracle grow!

The sky is falling!

Sorce

I knew the true expert would chime in. Okay, they're bare rooted and sitting on the shelf (in full sun...pines, you know) Next spring I will pot them in mud for good moisture.
Thanks a bunch.

:eek:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If you have recently decandled, don’t start fertilizing until you see needles on the new shoots. Fertilizing too early will stimulate the tree to make longer internodes. Part of the benefit of decandling is the new shoots will have short internodes, but fertilizing too soon after decandling will negate this! Once needles appear, the internode length is set, and it’s ok to fertilize.

I use organic fertilizer that feeds with each watering. Like bio gold. There are several you can use. They’re slow release. Fish emulsion is ok, too, but secondary to the biogold.
Okay. Got some on the way. Thanks for the reply.
Should I keep it piled up around the "Sorced" uproots while I wait for spring? 🤪

Some tiny needles ARE showing.

Thanks again.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes we default to doing something, anything, to get the tree to respond. In the end our attempts result in killing the tree. You have to learn to be patient, haste and desperation have killed more trees than the efforts we have taken that have frightened us into making stupid efforts.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

HEY !! I put a piece of Biogold on one of them and LOOK WHAT HAPPENED !!

cessna pine 7-22.jpg

Man, that stuff works FASSTTTT !!! 😁

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Actually, wait on the fertilizer until you see your new shoots develop from the decandling. Once you see true needles emerging from their sheaths, then you can Start putting on the biogold. The reason not to do it sooner is it will make the internodes longer. Part of the reason to decandle is to shorten internodes. It’s not just about short needles. Decandling also stimulates the tree to make more shoots from the bud, rather than just one, so it increases ramification. This new ramification, is best if it makes shorter growth, so withholding fertilizer at the beginning helps. Once, the new shoots have grown out, then they start producing needles. And THEN it’s ok to fertilize.

If you have already put BioGold on, just take it off. That’s the advantage of using those kinds of fertilizers. You can remove them. Once you pour on a liquid, it hard to remove. The only way is to drench with water it multiple times to “wash it out”.

Top Bottom