Yellow pine needle tips

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this one pine with yellow tips on a couple branches. We’ve been getting a ton of rain, so I’m wondering if it’s from over watering. I don’t think it’s needle cast or anything like that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? My other pines are fine…

IMG_2684.jpeg

I'll have to put a full picture of it, it's unshaped but I'm very excited to get to it next year.

I heard back from another source that it is in fact likely that the needles are staying too wet in particular, and / or just in general overwatered. I'll put it at an angle to help it drain better.

I have this one pine with yellow tips on a couple branches. We’ve been getting a ton of rain, so I’m wondering if it’s from over watering. I don’t think it’s needle cast or anything like that.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? My other pines are fine…

View attachment 503274
Some people with years of experience in bonsai said if the color of the needle is lighter at the base then the tip then you are overwater your plant. I see that at the bottom needle cluster. Maybe a bit too much water from the rain in that case I don't see anything to worry about. The tree looks healthy than any I have in my collection.

Some people with years of experience in bonsai said if the color of the needle is lighter at the base then the tip then you are overwater your plant. I see that at the bottom needle cluster. Maybe a bit too much water from the rain in that case I don't see anything to worry about. The tree looks healthy than any I have in my collection.

Good to know! I had a hunch that played into it, just wanted to make sure it didn’t jump out as fungal or anything. And thanks!

Here’s the whole tree…. I got real lucky on the price back in late winter / early spring. Looking forward to watching it evolve. Debating wiring next year, or just decandling and doing it the following. I think it’s getting ready, though.

IMG_2687.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 6
Here’s the whole tree…. I got real lucky on the price back in late winter / early spring. Looking forward to watching it evolve. Debating wiring next year, or just decandling and doing it the following. I think it’s getting ready, though.

View attachment 503286
Nice tree you have there.

That's a lovely piece of pine.

It has been extremely wet here, too- I like rain but I noticed a bit of yellowing in my trees. I think they'll sort themselves out though.

I learned a similar concept with broad leaves being discolored and/or soft from the inside-out with overwatering vs. outside-in and underwatering.

Agree looks like too much water, maybe not enough fertilizer?

Very nice little pine although I wish it were potted deeper, seems halfway neagari style and not.

Instinct inspired answer with question: does substrate drain very well/freely? If so🤔believe good possibility plant food/nutrients being washed out of substrate underfeeding tree needed food. Very good trunk, roots for new tree☺️.

Agree looks like too much water, maybe not enough fertilizer?

Very nice little pine although I wish it were potted deeper, seems halfway neagari style and not.

Good call. A bit of a rush job of a slip pot sadly, will be able to pay more attention next time.

Instinct inspired answer with question: does substrate drain very well/freely? If so🤔believe good possibility plant food/nutrients being washed out of substrate underfeeding tree needed food. Very good trunk, roots for new tree☺️.

It’s a/p/l but it gets quite a bit of fert…. Not saying that’s not it, but I’d be surprised

Back
Top Bottom