$18 nursery blue rug wiltonii and procumbens initial shape

darryl1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Picked up some decent nursery junipers over the weekend. I believe one is a procumbens and the other might be a wiltonii (blue rug). I think the sign said 'blue' something... there wasn't a tag on the pot. Nice movement in the blue rug. Good one to eventually try my first shari.

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1287.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg

darryl1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks for posting your new trees. Really like the work you’ve done. I was curious as to whether you modified the soil at all before putting back in their pots?
Thanks for your comments.
I didn't do anything to the soil. Should I have - I'm new? I plan to let this grow out for a bit.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your comments.
I didn't do anything to the soil. Should I have - I'm new? I plan to let this grow out for a bit.

Probably not.
You're best really, repotting with all the foliage before styling.
If you can get into a pattern of purchase, repotting, then styling the next year, you'll see better results.

Not sure that one is a procumbens, not that it matters. Better it's not!

Not a nana either! But some info.

Sorce

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
Took one look at the first picture and then at your location and instantly knew which nursery you went to LOL. I picked up a few of those blue rug junipers (juniperus horizontalis) as well, repotted them into smaller terra cotta pots, started fertilizing, and now im deciding whether i want to graft or use the foliage thats already on it. Feel free to reach out if you got any questions!

darryl1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Took one look at the first picture and then at your location and instantly knew which nursery you went to LOL. I picked up a few of those blue rug junipers (juniperus horizontalis) as well, repotted them into smaller terra cotta pots, started fertilizing, and now im deciding whether i want to graft or use the foliage thats already on it. Feel free to reach out if you got any questions!
Lol. Evergreen in Carmel Valley. I picked up 3 others I haven't started on yet and a couple other deciduous projects with some decent trunks.
They said they would start putting out their maples at the end of April if they haven't already. Think I need to make a stop there this week.

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice trees! Dang, I need to check out that nursery too. Not that I have room for any more trees.

darryl1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice trees! Dang, I need to check out that nursery too. Not that I have room for any more trees.
I went back Friday - no maples yet - said to check back in 3 weeks. I ended up leaving with another blue rug, 2 more junipers, a white alder and a 15 gallon boxwood though. lol.

Dr3z

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really like the blue rugs movement

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like the trunk in the second pic. Nice find!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Better it's not!
1620065822509.png ! LOL
@darryl1 Killer blue rug. I call sorce the blue rug man, you've made him jealous.

Not sure why you removed the projects from the nursery cans to style them...?
This counts as a repot many claim, to slip pot or to remove, disturbing the finer feeder roots.

The one in question about procumbens, is not. Not that there's anything wrong with procumbens
a juniper is what you make it, but yours has mostly scale foliage, but does indeed have some juvinile
foliage, in this case needle foliage which is a result of some stressor at some point in recent history.
Do not be surprised with the amount of removal of the foliage, that is throws a lot of juvenile foliage
as a result. Also, it appears to have some yellowing of the foliage, which would be enough of a concern
to leave at the nursery, but since not, best of luck, it will be nice if it pulls through. Both of them.
After care of both is of most importance, protecting from drying winds, giving good sunlight, and not
drying out at all, nor wet for prolonged periods, and misting the foliage often throughout the day.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I also really like the movement in the first tree pictured. You've take a lot of foliage off the tree though. Don't repot that tree until it is really growing strong. I could be a year or two until it's rolling along again. I'm surprised to see this species in San Diego, I thought they were usually cooler weather junipers

darryl1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
View attachment 372308 ! LOL
@darryl1 Killer blue rug. I call sorce the blue rug man, you've made him jealous.

Not sure why you removed the projects from the nursery cans to style them...?
This counts as a repot many claim, to slip pot or to remove, disturbing the finer feeder roots.

The one in question about procumbens, is not. Not that there's anything wrong with procumbens
a juniper is what you make it, but yours has mostly scale foliage, but does indeed have some juvinile
foliage, in this case needle foliage which is a result of some stressor at some point in recent history.
Do not be surprised with the amount of removal of the foliage, that is throws a lot of juvenile foliage
as a result. Also, it appears to have some yellowing of the foliage, which would be enough of a concern
to leave at the nursery, but since not, best of luck, it will be nice if it pulls through. Both of them.
After care of both is of most importance, protecting from drying winds, giving good sunlight, and not
drying out at all, nor wet for prolonged periods, and misting the foliage often throughout the day.
Thanks, I didn't repot them. I just pulled them out to check out the trunk and a quick 'before' photo op (it looks like I repotted the blue rug but a bunch of soil fell out when I was cutting the pot and I got some ground soil in there when I tried to scoop it back in).

I think the blue rug would be an interesting cascade candidate. I bought a couple more I might consider cascading.

Couple pics today - both appear to be thriving:
IMG_1678.jpeg
IMG_1680.jpeg

MikeGSoCal

Seedling
Reaction score
I went back Friday - no maples yet - said to check back in 3 weeks. I ended up leaving with another blue rug, 2 more junipers, a white alder and a 15 gallon boxwood though. lol.
I’m gonna have to go check them out! I’m looking for a couple trees to get started as well.

Top Bottom