1st trees bought, need help

jtibbles

Seed
Reaction score
So I've been doing research and reading on bonsai for months now. Finally went to local nurseries and found two trees. Really limited in what I could find but I ended up getting a buxus mycrophylla and a camellia japonica. Turns out after all my research I cannot figure out how to start. Or how to get from what I have to something that will look like a nice mature bonsai. My biggest issues are knowing when to start training, and what techniques apply to a decently developed bonsai tree vs a tree that is still becoming bonsai if that makes sense.

Boxwood: I'd like it to have a much thicker trunk. Do I start to style it now while it continues to grow? Do I just let if grow for a few years Untouched to become mature? Basically, when do I start training this guy?

Camellia: It was on sale and clearly has issues. I'm hoping to turn it into a twin style trunk. Same question I guess as for the boxwood, at what point do you start training it vs just letting the trunk thicken.

Edited to add: Located in Las Vegas

Attachments

• PXL_20210815_010835908.jpg
    PXL_20210815_010835908.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 16290439515277280724662055239166.jpg
    16290439515277280724662055239166.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 31
  • 16290440130983900883213969322780.jpg
    16290440130983900883213969322780.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We need to know where you live in order to give sound advice for your climate.

D

Deleted member 38190

Nice. I live in AZ. I just got a Chinese Elm for 25 Dollars. Too hot here. 105º mostly but sometimes goes above 110º. Once April comes we will reach 120º. Any advice? Should I keep it inside?

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you want a thick trunk on that boxwood, the best thing to do is plant it in the ground and let it grow for 10 years. In Las Vegas (USDA zone 9a), keep it well watered the first year until it establishes itself. I don't know enough about the Camellia to comment on that. Welcome to the site and good luck!

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Preface: I'm new and still crap at this hobby, but I've done tons of research and asked a lot of questions. Hopefully I can give some advice based on what more experienced members have taught me. Everything I say from here on is my own opinion or somebody else's advice; I tend to talk like I'm dealing facts but for the sake of how much I'm about to type, assume it's unconfirmed info unless someone more experienced than me adds their +1

1) Boxwood:
These guys are really fun IMO. They are easy to take care of, easy to prune, and come in a lot of neat pre-bonsai-looking shapes and sizes. The major downside is that they grow slooooowly. If you're hoping to turn that boxwood into a thick-trunked beauty, be prepared to wait. A lot.

I only have one boxwood and it's quite similar to yours. I'm going to style it in a way that keeps it as short as possible because if I want to play the long game with it, it'll look ugly for *years* before it even resembles proper bonsai. I don't want to wait that long.

My nursery also sells more mature boxwoods with trunks about 1" or larger in diameter. If you want that size of a tree, my advice is to buy one that size. They're usually 4-6 times the price, but save you enough years of waiting for it to be worth it. At my place, your tree would cost me $15. The huge ones are $60. I'd rather skip eating out 3 times and buy the large tree than spend 5 years waiting for my small boxwood to become workable.

2) That second thing which I know nothing about:
I'm not saying you wasted your money, but to my eyes that tree has just about nothing interesting about it. I'd vote for letting it grow out so you have more to work with. I find it easier to cut back from a dense tree, than to plan for any of a million possible branch structures on a sparse tree.

When I see this tree, my mind goes to "try to develop an eye for potential bonsai material" because I would have skipped over that tree immediately after glancing at it. I'm learning more and more that while it's possible to make bonsai out of almost anything, it's really worth the time to focus on trees that have potential. It'll prevent mental burnout if/when the tree doesn't meet your expectations after styling. My first 2 trees were carelessly selected and I ended up hating them and wasting 60 bucks. One died and the other is sitting out of sight because it's embarrassing to look at. Try watching YouTube videos of bonsai enthusiasts hunting at nurseries. They usually browse and comment on why they like/dislike what they come across. It's really informational gold for us new hobbyists to be able to see the decision making process of these people. It'll save you money and heartache.

3) Set yourself up for success
My biggest revelation is the realization that if I can find out which species can take a beating and still thrive, I'll get a lot of enjoyment out of the hobby as I learn. My new favorite are azaleas. Cheap as dirt, beautiful flowers, and backbud like crazy. You can chop them as hard as you want and they'll put out growth like it was nothing. I currently have 2 of these. One was chopped back to a few bare branches, the other I left some sacrificial foliage on. They're both putting out buds. They're almost impossible to kill by pruning and you can learn a lot by experimenting. You also don't need to worry about which ones have potential before buying because you're likely going to chop most of the tree off anyway. I can't oversell how great those things are. Find what trees work well like that in your climate, and focus those.

Rant over 😅

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You should learn taking care of them for a year first like I did but watch Herons and Esei en on YouTube! You need your trees to be alive so learn that first 🙃

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice. I live in AZ. I just got a Chinese Elm for 25 Dollars. Too hot here. 105º mostly but sometimes goes above 110º. Once April comes we will reach 120º. Any advice? Should I keep it inside?
There is a lot of info on people taking care of bonsai in AZ on this forum. I know they need more water then usual at your hottest times of the year. Shade cloth may be good with some trees. Unless it is an actual indoor tree you will kill it by putting it indoors. Best thing to do is grow trees that work good in your local environment. There are a lot of trees I wish I could grow but can’t.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a Gamble!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Expectations and aspirations for bonsai differ a lot. So much depends on what you will be happy with. Most beginners are happy if they have a skinny tree with a few branches in a pot to call a bonsai. Others aspire to a tree that would stand out at a national show.
Box are quite slow to grow and thicken. Allow 5-10 years for that project unless you will be satisfied with a smaller bushy tree in a pot. In the second case you can start trimming regularly when it grows. Practice some wiring to change the shape and look for a pot to plant it in next spring. For a more impressive tree plant it in the garden as suggested or a larger pot and leave it for a few years at least. Prune every few years to get good growth but maintain some semblance of order then finally convert to a real bonsai and pot up in spring 5-10 years from now.

The camellia looks like it has had sunburn or dehydration or both. From what I know of Las Vegas this may not be the best choice of species. Given better care it should recover from the trauma just fine. The burnt leaves won't recover but new ones should be good. Camellia are also not the easiest trees to train as a bonsai. Flowers are lovely but leaves are a bit large and longer internodes means they don't make nice neat branching. It will be a good specimen to learn about watering and pruning on but I would not bank on creating a masterpiece with it.

Top Bottom