2 Willow Ficus's

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just got these yesterday..these are not very good pic's but I was wondering if I could repot the now because they were shipped to me in yougurt cups. The cup feels pretty root bound when using a chop stick. These trees will eventually be shoinin trees
IMG_20151121_133456350.jpg
IMG_20151121_133517768.jpg
Could I slip pot these into something bigger.

Rick

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe use slip-potting, tropicals should be able to handle it (but i'm no expert).

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So long as the roots are not disturbed, you could plant into a larger pot. Do not down size this time of year.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So long as the roots are not disturbed, you could plant into a larger pot. Do not down size this time of year.

Are you talking about chopping and pruning.. That's comes in spring if at all then. If they would be ok in those cups I would leave them there but they feel pretty root bound.. It takes awhile for the water to drain out the bottom.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would let them get used to life with you.

While you watch the waterings.

Once they push some growth,

I'd bare root em and proper soil em.

Maybe a cottage cheese container. Or whip cream. Or something better!

Sorce

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok gotcha..definitely not going outside..snowing hard here...lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely ready to move up to a cottage cheese container...:p

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I stopped at a hydra phonics store and got a couple of grow out containers for them when they start pushing some growth..while I was there they had free samples of grow stones for the taking so I got a few bags. Anyone have any experience with these.

Rick

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I stopped at a hydra phonics store and got a couple of grow out containers for them when they start pushing some growth..while I was there they had free samples of grow stones for the taking so I got a few bags. Anyone have any experience with these.

Rick

Smoke uses em I think.

Sorce

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok was just curious as they were free..can't pass free up

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just chuck them in containers double the current size. Put them in a warm spot for a few days and they will never miss a beat.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I'm hoping for. A few leaves are turning yellow but that's to be expected with shipping..

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
How fast do the trunks grow on these trees..I'm getting conflicting info on the internet.

Rick

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are actually very good at bulking up in small containers, I find mine grow well but the growth is a lot finer than most Figs so will obviously take a bit longer to thicken. They can develop fat tuber roots which are unsightly
These photos are 3 years apart, tree is constantly clipped back to 2 leaves on each shoot. A sacrifice helped thicken the lower trunk but the basal swell is just the nature of the beast. Roots swelled up quickly, below the surface is quite ugly. Ive got work to do this month

Attachments

• 20121127_095022 (600x800).jpg
    20121127_095022 (600x800).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMAG0114 (576x1024).jpg
    IMAG0114 (576x1024).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 35

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Keep in mind your location. Jeremy is in sunny Australia, you are not. You are growing indoors over the winter, Jeremy does not have to. For you it'll take a while of unrestricted growth to thicken the trees.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I understand that just a little concerned about leaf drop still. Figured it would be done dropping by now. One tree is actually doing well the other is not.

Rick

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I understand that just a little concerned about leaf drop still. Figured it would be done dropping by now. One tree is actually doing well the other is not.

Rick

Ours are the same some years they drop everything when brought in for the Winter, but it is never consistent sometimes they all do, sometimes just a few drop. This year there is one inside that decided to "slowly' drop a few weeks after being brought in, while some dropped little or none. They are all ok just not predictable.

Grimmy

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok good to know..these don't seem to be doing much in growth as I expected they would from what I've read. I know its winter and not their growing season but my fukien tea is jammin with growth.

Rick

Top Bottom