2009 KoB Progressive Styling Contest

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are pleased to announce the official start of the third annual Knowledge of Bonsai Progressive Styling Contest sponsored by Bonsai Focus Magazine!

The contest that has been called the best on the web returns with some tweaks and refinements to the rules, reflecting comments and suggestions by many past entrants.

We have eliminated the separate Professional and Non-Professional categories. Besides reducing the extra work created verifying entrants, researching claims, investigating complaints, and sorting the entries this separation created, eliminating the separation better reflects our philosophy here at KoB.

We have also reduced the number of categories, eliminating those based on styles and instead creating an open environment for all styles. Considering that the style of the tree in this contest is not as important as the end result and the path taken to get there, we feel this is an excellent change. This decision will also reduce the number of winners, thereby increasing the value of prizes for the winners.

We have also eliminated the “one entry per person” rule and will allow multiple entries per person this year.

The winner of this years contest will have their entry published in Bonsai Focus Magazine and, of course, there will be plenty of other prizes for the winners of each category!

For rules and other information see http://knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=148

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Will, did you say that people can enter more than one tree?
Big, big prizes on their way.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Less than 30 days left to enter folks.....

Only 10 entries so far, it should be easy pickings for anyone who can style a bonsai ;)

Will

Last edited:

spect

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well lets hope there are some bonsai nuts that can style a tree, I would love to see some real competition this year. The more the best. I already put some trees to work on! so dont be afraid the worst that can happen is that you do some work that you already want to do. So come on give it a try!

Last edited:

spect

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well there seems to be few people actually doing bonsai, ummmm I hope I'm wrong. Would be nice to see more people doing some work on their trees. And not to have the believe that everyone buys their bonsai!

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well there seems to be few people actually doing bonsai, ummmm I hope I'm wrong. Would be nice to see more people doing some work on their trees. And not to have the believe that everyone buys their bonsai!

I think there are many reasons much less condemning of the bonsai community than you're willing to admit. Previous contests should have confirmed that not "everyone buys their bonsai". The question that needs answering is why they're not participating as they previously have. Maybe they're just waiting and this one will be the best contest yet.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
August 7th, 2009 04:06 AM
spect Well lets hope there are some bonsai nuts that can style a tree, I would love to see some real competition this year. The more the best. I already put some trees to work on! so dont be afraid the worst that can happen is that you do some work that you already want to do. So come on give it a try!

I understand you making this statement...when it was made... and how it was made

I don't understand why you made this statement...being a member of this forum for over a year, you obviously know, and have seen members working on their own trees. This statement to me seemed mean spirited.

If you wanted to try and pull more people into the contest then you could have said something like... There is only 24 hours left to enter this contest....how about joining and giving me a challenge!

A challenge is always better than an insult.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Looking for reasons seems to be the question of the day in bonsai. I am finding that some of the more experienced bonsai growers, for what ever reason known only to them, are bailing out of bonsai. I personally know of two, both of which have been published and featured in some major publications. They would be Straw Man One and Straw Man Two, for those who believe it is necessary to post names without permission, or application of common courtesy for the privacy of another respected individual.

I think maybe with all the criticism and personal assassinations over the last few years that the bloom is off the roses for some people. Coupled with the political and economic circumstances we are all enduring there is an over-all funk attacking everyone.

As for me I plan on entering this week.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think "calling people out" is the way either. It has now been done on both threads, this one and the AoB contest thread. Not sure why people think anger promotes entry.

BTW Tom, great entries on your part.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
If I entered a tree under an assumed name, would any of you remember what my trees look like.....:)

keep it green,
Harry

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I entered a tree under an assumed name, would any of you remember what my trees look like.....:)

keep it green,
Harry

Perhaps you can enter under a pseudonym, like "Longhorns4Life"?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Perhaps you can enter under a pseudonym, like "Longhorns4Life"?

Come on dude, you gotta cut me some slack, I hate even seeing that word in print....ugh

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• a559_1.jpg
    a559_1.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hey, you're supposed to be neutral here...............:p

keep it green,
Harry

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come on dude, you gotta cut me some slack, I hate even seeing that word in print....ugh

keep it green,
Harry

Just trying to help Harry - I figured nobody would ever associate you with that moniker :D

It could be worse. You could be an alum/fan of UVA football like me and watch Al Groh lose game after game despite some of the talent he somehow is able to recruit.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think "calling people out" is the way either. It has now been done on both threads, this one and the AoB contest thread. Not sure why people think anger promotes entry.

BTW Tom, great entries on your part.

Hey Steve,

Perhaps its old world mentality...like getting slapped in the face with a Chain Maille Glove. Had to hurt like hell and piss off a combatant enough to partake in a duel.:rolleyes:

As far as my entries...there only good if I can do something with them....though the Carolina Hemlock as me rev'ed up, was a truly like hitting the jackpot, the needles and cones are sooooooo small. There are some talented people entered in the contest...should produce some good trees, will be interesting to watch the progressions over the next few months.

Someone should start a pool...get that rust off in preparation for some college ball.:D

PaulStokes

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
The KoB's third annual Progressive Styling COntest sponsored by Bonsai Focus Magazine has had a great start.

With 27 trees submitted by 10 entrant we have decided to to allow for a few more entries!

Contest entry deadline extended to 12:00 am September 15th

This will give all of you who were thinking of entering a change to enter with 2 extra weeks! Let's make this a real competition with 50 entrants not trees.

Remember that all winning trees will be published in an issue of Bonsai Focus Magazine, don't pass up this opportunity for thousands to see your work and to compete against your peers and world class bonsai artists.

http://www.knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=152

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your Kidding...right?

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah I'm not too happy about it either Tom. work to make sure everything gets in on time and then this. Deadlines aren't what they used to be.

Top Bottom