2022 Discount Rack Contest: James W.'s Serbian spruce "de Ruyter" #2

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Picia omorica "de Ruyter" from local landscaping nursery. Originally marked $330
Picture from the nursery, I'll have better photos tomorrow. Maybe
deRuyter_2.jpgreceipt_1.jpg

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Heck yea nice discount, nice tree to go with it too! Welcome aboard! 😁 Looking forward to seeing more of this tree.

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice find! Did you do any clean up on it yet? Wondering what the trunk line looks like. I like the rough bark that these develop.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have not done anything except look at them yet. My plan is to start cleaning in a couple of weeks and do some pruning in August or September to get them ready for repotting next March. And I'll dig down to the nebari to see what that is.
This one has a lovely wiggly trunk so I am really pumped. I am assuming it is grafted but I haven't dug deep enough to find the graft, yet.
I have not found much specific information on this species so I will treat it like "generic" spruce.
These are not really very good for this contest because it is highly unlikely that the will be anywhere close to "finished" in five years. I am planning on moving very slowly. But I wanted to brag about my find and this will be a good place to document progress or failure.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cleaned up, looking good.

Attachments

• cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 22

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Removed unusable branches, about 1/4 of total foliage.
Base looks good, I am happy to find no ugly graft.
Should be in good shape for root work next March.
trimmed.jpgtrunk.jpg

Top Bottom