A Beginners Cascade

Dystopics

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/559227909668339732/842555008600113162/image0.jpg

Ive had this juniper in a nursery pot for a couple of years now, and only this year bought a pot for it. Feeling happy with this initial angle and placement, and excited to see what it'll look like after styling.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Those curves are spectacular!
A little worried where the pads will rest in the final product, though. I can see allot of that foliage being lost in styling leaving the thing rather sparse, almost to the point of literati. Still, it'll be amazing however it ends up.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m a beginner, too, so pardon the dumb question: will it be ok with that much root mass exposed? Seems like maybe it was rushed to get to that angle.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see a left side and a right side....which side you plan on styling?

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the curves too!
Little concerned about the time of year for repotting though. Is that safe in your location?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m a beginner, too, so pardon the dumb question: will it be ok with that much root mass exposed? Seems like maybe it was rushed to get to that angle.
Valid concern, but in this case it seems like the roots have been there, and likely plenty under the surface, for a while. Look up neagari. Exposed roots up top like that is totally a thing in bonsai.

Dystopics

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm currently living in 5b. Am I bit late repotting this one? Probably, but a month ago we still had freezing temps at night, and my deciduous trees hadn't broken buds yet. As far as styling goes, I'm not sure yet. It went through a steep angle change from its previous pot, so I'm still exploring what advantageous branches I have and where they are. I do like the movement it has now, going from left to right, but it may have some wire and twisting in its future.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decent starting movement and good potential. Beware not to wire/bend during growing season;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I bit late repotting this one?

I'd call it a couple months early.

Did you "block off" the bottom half of that pot?

That sumbytch is deep for days!

Sorce

Top Bottom