A borer in one of my JM shohin

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just found a borer hole in a small JM. I stuck a wire down as far as I could get it to go, but not sure if I reached the bottom as it might have just not been able to make the curve. I do use a systemic, but wondering if there is something I could flush down the hole to make sure I kill the nasty thing? Anyone have something that worked for them?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just found a borer hole in a small JM. I stuck a wire down as far as I could get it to go, but not sure if I reached the bottom as it might have just not been able to make the curve. I do use a systemic, but wondering if there is something I could flush down the hole to make sure I kill the nasty thing? Anyone have something that worked for them?
I have used gel type CA glue on small bore holes in azaleas. I cover the hole with the CA glue, then the borer will try to escape out of the hole because of the fumes of the glue and end up getting stuck in the CA Glue. If it's not to late and the tree recovers it will close the hole itself.

Do you see fresh frass below the hole?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have used gel type CA glue on small bore holes in azaleas. I cover the hole with the CA glue, then the borer will try to escape out of the hole because of the fumes of the glue and end up getting stuck in the CA Glue. If it's not to late and the tree recovers it will close the hole itself.

Do you see fresh frass below the hole?
Yes it was fresh, I syringed some Bayer tree and shrub protect in the hole full strength. It is the liquid kind... if it didn’t round it I imagine it would kill it. I will flush the hole with water later since it is a concentrate and I used it full strength.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes it was fresh, I syringed some Bayer tree and shrub protect in the hole full strength. It is the liquid kind... if it didn’t round it I imagine it would kill it. I will flush the hole with water later since it is a concentrate and I used it full strength.
Hopefully that will take care of the problem.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
, I syringed some Bayer tree and shrub protect in the hole full strength. It is the liquid kind
Hopefully that will work, but I think for it to be most effective, the imidacloprid needs to get in the vascular system of the tree. The borers are munching on the phloem.

I have some purple leaf sand cherries that get borers almost every year (except last year and so far, this year). I use the same Bayer product, and it works very quickly. Not sure about the borers because I only see a couple holes (I never let it get out of hand, I always use bayer as soon as I see a hole), but it kills the leaf eating insects within 24 hours, I've actually seen it take less than 12 hours to kill.

Good luck!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully that will work, but I think for it to be most effective, the imidacloprid needs to get in the vascular system of the tree. The borers are munching on the phloem.

I have some purple leaf sand cherries that get borers almost every year (except last year and so far, this year). I use the same Bayer product, and it works very quickly. Not sure about the borers because I only see a couple holes (I never let it get out of hand, I always use bayer as soon as I see a hole), but it kills the leaf eating insects within 24 hours, I've actually seen it take less than 12 hours to kill.

Good luck!
So you do a soil drench with the liquid, is that right?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is probably what I would do if I found a borer in one of my trees. Id make sure its one that works on most beetles since those are usually what borers are I think

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I syringed some Bayer tree and shrub protect in the hole full strength.
I don't think it will hurt the tree, but that is rather like taking a 50 mm after a rabbit.
Best of luck.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So you do a soil drench with the liquid, is that right
Correct

And I always tell people NOT to use that stuff if you intend on letting your tree flower. It can transfer to pollen and kill beneficial insects.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That stuff kills bees
Yes, I don't use it on trees before flowering. Azaleas don't need it, as they really have very few pests, crabapples and cherry bloom so early it's before the bugs get going....And really in my landscape, there are so many things in the natural landscape that they ignore my trees and go for the big stuff...

Top Bottom