A couple berberis

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple of my berberis thumbergii.

The smaller one is in its second year in a pot.

The other was just salvaged from the garbage pile at the landscape nursery I work at. The base of the the trunk is about 2" in diameter, the spots where there are freshly cut branches were where a few branches were broken off when it hit the pile, they were in bad shape so I had to prune them off.
- Any ideas of what i should do with this guy. Should/can it be pruned back harder and which branches should be removed? Seems that this towards a shohin if anything. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks in advance!

Let me know if you need some more pics...

-Please don't mind the moss, I just threw it in there to keep temporarily haha

Attachments

• 100_1428.jpg
    100_1428.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 100_1434.jpg
    100_1434.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 94

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they were mine I would feed heavily and let them grow this year, then next spring (Feb. or March) cut them down to a small trunk leaving stubs where the branches were. They should bud back easily, and these could both make nice small trees.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they were mine I would feed heavily and let them grow this year, then next spring (Feb. or March) cut them down to a small trunk leaving stubs where the branches were. They should bud back easily, and these could both make nice small trees.

how far back should i cut the branches in the spring? mainly on the short fat one...

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just snapped a pic the other morning in the morning sun with our big japanese maple in the background...

maybe a possible pot... for the time being...

Attachments

• Berberis thumbergii bonsai.jpg
    Berberis thumbergii bonsai.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 26
  • pot.jpg
    pot.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom