A few displays at the BIB show, 2016

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a long time viewer of this exhibit and a long time arguer with Morten Wellhaven over how trees are set up I will respectfully allow the display above to show how trees should not be set up for a well designed display.
Other colors have been used in the past. It seems that this baby blue is not so garish with the trees.

BIB11.JPG
BIB5.JPG
BIB2.JPG
BIB8.JPG

Attachments

• BIB8.JPG
    BIB8.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 29

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adair, Thanks for posting some pictures of the display. After a "negotiation" between my wife and I, I am glad I took her advice and went to Santa Cruz instead. The caliber of the trees posted is not up to BIB past standards. I would recommend not stiffleing the exhibit by not making height restrictions in the future. Maybe you can let him know in the next negotiation process.

Last edited:

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Adair's photo, taken from a low angle, using a wide-angle cellphone lens fails to capture the front of either tree in the display. While the visual flow of the cedar is not perfectly synchronous (e.g. the top and the key branch are slightly at odds with one another) it is not to the right (IMO.) I set up the display, not Boon, so you can criticize my judgement if you like. The zelkova, from the front has what I consider to be a neutral flow...but you're welcome to disagree.

Nothing I do is perfect. I just work hard, and do what I can to create nice trees. As I mentioned to David Crust on my blog, the cedar is flawed. And there's nobody to blame but me. The branch that crosses the trunk causes me no end of annoyance. My plan is to eliminate it eventually, and to make the tree slightly taller. That plan will likely take another 5 years or more to execute fully - because of that I decided to show the tree first as it is now.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the cedar has a definate flow to the right and the apex off center is also helping to reinforce that feel. The trunk emerges from the soil to the right and the apex ends off center to the right. This is a no brainer. You can add branches till the cows come home but so far, this is a right handed tree. The zelcova, while a broom in a perfect world would be more neutral but that heavy continuation of the trunk line lends visual weight up and out of the display.

In years back, like in the late 90's Boons exhibit used to feature single tree displays. A tree and an accent. I can't remember which year it was , but I suspect it was after a visit to Japan that Boon began using the more common Kokufu style display with a Tree, supporting tree and accent. In some cases, a Tree, supporting tree scroll and accent. In a club setting when 100 or more trees are brought together with the need for as many as possible correct stands and even accent slabs in can be daunting. Many trees are paired for the display and many times the correct position of the tree can't be used due to flaws in the subject, or other things that make a certain side unavailable.

I know that many of these "pairs" are sometimes unrelated to the owners and have not even been shown together before. There may be as many as 6 or 7 people involved just to put together a two tree display, with maybe two people owning the trees, two others owning the stands and maybe more owning the accent and Jiita.

The tree in your avatar, just as it is. Which direction does it flow. If you choose right, is it because the apex flies that way?

In this photo, I do not feel it was taken at that low of an angle based on the soil line in the pot of the large tree and the aspect ratio of the soil in the small tree. I feel it was taken at the green dot. The center line show of both these trees move out of the picture. Just showin for the less edumacated.

treedisplay.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke, my cell phone camera does a poor job of photography. My photography skills are even worse.

I tried to post a link to a complete photo gallery. Did you see that?

There were 114 trees, not counting accents. For the most part, we were able to mix/match the stands pretty well. I brought two stands from home for my shohin. I was able to borrow a tall cascade stand for my JRP.

For the smaller trees, it is traditional to use a "three point display. Or, if they ate shohin, use a shohin Box stand.

I did miss seeing you, and if you had other things to do, that's fine. I'm glad that was the reason you missed the show. I was afraid your wife may have been ill. Glad to know that's not the case.

Next year's show is planned to have no size or origin restrictions, except that if the tree was shown in 2016, it cannot be shown in 2017. So there will be an entirely new batch of trees next year. They are considering a suggestion that photos of the tree be displayed so that visitors can see how the trees have changed over time.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, my cell phone camera does a poor job of photography. My photography skills are even worse.

I tried to post a link to a complete photo gallery. Did you see that?

There were 114 trees, not counting accents. For the most part, we were able to mix/match the stands pretty well. I brought two stands from home for my shohin. I was able to borrow a tall cascade stand for my JRP.

For the smaller trees, it is traditional to use a "three point display. Or, if they ate shohin, use a shohin Box stand.

I did miss seeing you, and if you had other things to do, that's fine. I'm glad that was the reason you missed the show. I was afraid your wife may have been ill. Glad to know that's not the case.

Next year's show is planned to have no size or origin restrictions, except that if the tree was shown in 2016, it cannot be shown in 2017. So there will be an entirely new batch of trees next year. They are considering a suggestion that photos of the tree be displayed so that visitors can see how the trees have changed over time.
Thanks for the reply. Photo quality is not the problem. Nuff said about that.

She is ill and the exact reason we didn't go to Oakland. This became about her and not my wishes.

I don't do facebook. Never will. I got alot to hide......

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, then I am sorry the two of you weren't able to come. Please let her know I'll be praying for her.

You can set up an anonymous Facebook account. My wife has one. Just for things like this.

By the way, if you've got a lot to hide, perhaps a thong is a poor choice of underwear! Lol! (Sorry, couldn't resist!!!)

No, seriously, take care of your wife so that she will be able to come see next year's show!

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Part 4 (with stones)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 28

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Goofed around a lot (and worked a lot too) with Bonsai Master and Kokufu Prize Winner Daisaku Nomoto. All goofing aside he sold me some really nice pots.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg