? about a spuce and juniper

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just at a nursery, and they had White Spruce, and Black hill spruce. Are they suitable for bonsai? I really liked the soft foliage of the white spruce, but it was pretty straight. Maybe a formal upright? Also, I like the blue moon junipers, anyone have experiance with them as far as a bonsai subject? andy

Reaction score
Andy--I kept a white spruce I collected from Montana for 5 yrs. then died due to incorrect potting (pot too shallow too soon) The fact the tree spent most of that time in Tucson may have had something to do with it too. I really liked the short, glaucous needles it had and the bark had a great texture too. If your nursery tree has mature bark, it may be worth a try.

Andy Smith of Goldenarrow Bonsai usually has some nice collected Black Hills spruce for sale on his website; I would check out what he has available if you really like this species as collected trees usually have more interesting trunks than nursery stock. The extra $$ you pay because it's collected and the shipping will pay off down the road...I think Andy's prices are pretty reasonable too. Can't help you with that species of juniper, why not give it a shot?

Reaction score
Also, I like the blue moon junipers, anyone have experiance with them as far as a bonsai subject?

Yes I've/do grow them but they are still young. Don't be in a rush to repot them. If you cut back it's roots it will take 2 years to regain vigor. Gently raise it up in the pot a little to help you style it but avoid disturbing the root ball. When wiring, watch for branches (large and small) splitting away from where they meet larger branches. Still, it wires very well.

Take "heal cuttings" from the material you prune off.

M.

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Guys.

The name of the juniper is Moon Glow Juniper. I like it but they all seem to be multiple stems. all the trees I saw were young. Mostly one gallon trees. Most of my stock is like that. Ive not made up my mind. I went to the website of Goldenarrow Bonsai, I really like the ponderosa pines they have. Maybe next spring If I can get some overtime I could order one. The black hill spruce folliage was rough, I really liked the texture of the white spruce. andy

Top Bottom