About Princess Persimmon

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are all the smaller verticals suckers from the roots? One could start er persimmon forest from those!
Yes they are. This plant throws suckers more than any other tree I have experienced. I wish they were easy to strike cuttings from - I have yet to be successful with a single cutting.

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
@Pitoon The full series is available on Amazon kindle. I keep buying them as I build up Amazon no-rush credit.

Here’s the prunus mume one:

I actually have a few of them as physical books as well, but I’ve found the kindle ones more useful for working with Google translate. As you can see this one also covers Chojubai.

View attachment 530973
I just bought the Ume issue, thank you @ochong 👍🏻

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes they are. This plant throws suckers more than any other tree I have experienced. I wish they were easy to strike cuttings from - I have yet to be successful with a single cutting.

I've had luck with a couple new growth cuttings and have a number of suckers that came off an older tree growing - it's possible. That said, I was able to get the one with suckers because the large older trunk had died, so maybe it just pushed all its energy into making the suckers viable. They were already about pencil-thick.

It's annoying due to cost but I have a lot of luck using shohin akadama as my medium for striking cuttings and getting strong growth. Maybe it's psychosomatic but it's all I want to use now... maybe that would help for some reason?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had luck with a couple new growth cuttings and have a number of suckers that came off an older tree growing - it's possible. That said, I was able to get the one with suckers because the large older trunk had died, so maybe it just pushed all its energy into making the suckers viable. They were already about pencil-thick.

It's annoying due to cost but I have a lot of luck using shohin akadama as my medium for striking cuttings and getting strong growth. Maybe it's psychosomatic but it's all I want to use now... maybe that would help for some reason?
For seeds I use akadama fines and pumice fines combined with excellent results, for cuttings I use small particle akadama and small pumice. the size that Stays on top of the small screen in a typical 3 screen sifting set.
Results improved from most other mixes due to PH of substrate, moisture retention and pore space for air combination.
In both settings I use shredded sphagnum for additional moisture retention and protection from drying out quickly.
Additional tip is to protect from excess air movement to improve humidity levels. cover or plastic enclosure depending on circumstances.example below! Ume not persimmon in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
For seeds I use akadama fines and pumice fines combined with excellent results, for cuttings I use small particle akadama and small pumice. the size that Stays on top of the small screen in a typical 3 screen sifting set.
Results improved from most other mixes due to PH of substrate, moisture retention and pore space for air combination.
In both settings I use shredded sphagnum for additional moisture retention and protection from drying out quickly.
Additional tip is to protect from excess air movement to improve humidity levels. cover or plastic enclosure depending on circumstances.example below! Ume not persimmon in this photo.
Awesome! Glad to hear I wasn’t imagining things :)

Top Bottom