Acer Palmatum 'Kotohime' photolog

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Certainly

View attachment 130141

No chopping necessary. But you have to build some low branches.

In this approach (total removal of the left side of the tree) how could dieback down the left side to soil level be avoided? Maybe it's my approach, timing or bad luck but dieback seems to be a strong possibility with maples when there is an absence of other branches below it to act as a 'stopper'.

Last edited:

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hi!
I have removed the airlayer (the left side trunk) and both parts are doing well.

I'm letting it grow freely this season to try and close the big wound! It has not died back but the wound is big and im planning on making thread grafts on the lips of the wound to start building branches and speed up the healing

Will try to get some pics

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi!
I have removed the airlayer (the left side trunk) and both parts are doing well.

I'm letting it grow freely this season to try and close the big wound! It has not died back but the wound is big and im planning on making thread grafts on the lips of the wound to start building branches and speed up the healing

Will try to get some pics

i hope you were able to take some pics. my koto grew like crazy this year. i would have loved to see how you did your airlayer and the outcome. i haven't tried threadgrafting yet.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
I'm hoping for (the airlayered part) the next few years the rootbase will fuse together and make a nice double trunk maple.. its screwed on top of a plastic mayonnaise lid to add basal flare.. I'm aiming at a pancake base double trunk shohin maple

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
i hope you were able to take some pics. my koto grew like crazy this year. i would have loved to see how you did your airlayer and the outcome. i haven't tried threadgrafting yet.
For the airlayer i just used about 80% vermiculite and 20% inorganics.. i left it there for about three to four months and thats it..! Started the layering last spring as the new buds were starting to bud.. much like the trees current state

Top Bottom