Acer rubrum Progression

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Magnificent tree. At what age does it become appropriate to begin defoliating in the growing season? I am in central VA as well. I have a Silver Maple that willed its way into the world in a Home Depot pot in my backyard last spring that is growing beautifully in its second year now in a growing pot. My inclination was to let it grow relatively unchecked for awhile to thicken the trunk but I am thinking ahead.
I think your inclination is right. Don't worry about defoliation for a while.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll be curious to see how small the next set of leaves are after the full defoliation.

I have 24 acer rubrum that I've been growing out from cuttings for the past 5-6 years. Mostly concentrating on a flat, shallow, radial nebari and thickening the trunk. It will still be a few years before I start defoliating.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll be curious to see how small the next set of leaves are after the full defoliation.

I have 24 acer rubrum that I've been growing out from cuttings for the past 5-6 years. Mostly concentrating on a flat, shallow, radial nebari and thickening the trunk. It will still be a few years before I start defoliating.
Back on page 1, you can see how it responded last year. I defoliated it on May 31 and took follow up pics in mid and late June.

SaltySea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You've got a wonderful tree on the go here. I'm struggling to see the difference in leaf compared to a trident maple. Do you know an easy way to tell? The reason I ask is that I have some seedlings and I'd like to know if they are tridents or Amur.

Thank you.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You've got a wonderful tree on the go here. I'm struggling to see the difference in leaf compared to a trident maple. Do you know an easy way to tell? The reason I ask is that I have some seedlings and I'd like to know if they are tridents or Amur.

Thank you.

I know as well as anyone it's easy to get distracted by a tangent on a thread, but I should point out, for the sake of helping a new site member, that if you're looking for an answer to a specific question, it's generally best to start a new thread, rather than bury it in someone else' progression thread.

That said, to answer your question, trident leaves are smaller and smoother. If you look at them side by side with red maple leaves, they look nothing alike. It's only online, when there's not a good sense of scale, that they start to look a bit similar.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Thank you.
Also, other than the actual size and shape of the leaf, the petioles on a red maple will be much longer and usually red in color.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thank you.
It's really not that hard once you know what to look for and the variations that both species have in leaf shape.

Acer rubrum generally have tri-lobed leaves WITH SERRATIONS at the leading edges. Trident leaves, for the most part don't. Also, bark and twigging gives additional ID. Trident maple bark is thin and exfoliates (falls off in strips). Acer rubrum is thicker barked and doesn't really exfoliate all that much. The final thing is that acer rubrum is native to North America. Tridents aren't. If you see a tri-lobed leafed tree in the woods, it is most likely acer rubrum.

Amur maple leaves tend to have an elongated lobe in the middle of their leaves. Their leaves also tend to be smaller than acer rubrum or trident in most circumstances. They are invasive in N. America, so they pop up everywhere.

All three throw a few shape variations in their leaves, but understanding context in where the specific tree is can help narrow down which it is.

Acer Rubrum first, trident second, amur third:

Attachments

• acerrubrum.jpg
    acerrubrum.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 19
  • tridentmapleleaf.jpg
    tridentmapleleaf.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 20
  • amurmapleleaf.jpg
    amurmapleleaf.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom