Advice for clump-style Apricot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey there,

After watching Bjorn's Youtube video on creating clump-style trees from seedlings, I started this clump-style Hardy Apricot from whips purchased last spring. The total age of the tree(s)/trunks is about 3 years. All last summer the trees were bound by a zip-tie below the surface, causing their trunks to fuse. I checked this spring, and the trunks have, indeed, begun to fuse. I recently cut the old zip-tie and replaced it with a new one. I think it will need one more growing season (i.e., this summer) to fuse completely.

My question concerns what to do with this tree during the upcoming growing season. As you can see, the tree is doing great. Each trunk grew almost a full 12 inches last year, and I'm expecting/worried that the same will happen this year. At what point should I redirect the growth from upward to outward? I want to encourage strong growth this summer to make sure the trunks completely fuse at the base, but I also don't want the trunks to get too long and gangly, making it even more difficult to reduce the size later. Any thoughts?
327006102_580352930708138_2432435873855399737_n.jpg
334818124_5887376524693360_1766611003154922039_n.jpg

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I think, I would just let it be until I’m happy with trunk size. Maybe some wire to trunk for movement. Scars on prunus can be an opportunity to make it gnarly. Maybe someone with better knowledge can help you more. Good stuff keep going!

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with the above.
I think cutting now will slow it down if you’re looking for trunk girth and to speed along the fusing process. One thing I will note is to keep in mind trunk sizes of the clump. All of these are pretty uniform in size, so be thinking of which you want to be the smaller of the three trunks and think on reducing that one at some point down the road to slow it down some.

Top Bottom