Mapple clump style advice

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Got this tree wmfew weeks back and wasn't sure if I can bonsai it or if I should just plant it in the garden. Basically main trunk does above a graft and multiple.branches from original stock emerged from below.
It.also shed all its leaves a couple weeks back which is still early as its still not winter but can see.many buds so believe it should sprout back. Appreciate input on below:
-Should I take out the dead central trunk or leave it, not sure if it'll add anything to a clump.
- other live trunks are skinny tall and lack movement. Do I cut them now or wait for buds to break and tree to regain energy from leaves.
- please advise which side is most likely to be the front

Full tree
Screenshot_20201019-135652_Gallery.jpg
Sides
Screenshot_20201019-135717_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201019-135738_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201019-135755_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20201019-135810_Gallery.jpg

Buds
Screenshot_20201019-135826_Gallery.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In this perfunctory view looks like the scion is dead and the growth is only coming from the rootstock. You need to choose from what's alive that which gives you the best start on movement, including cutting low enough to avoid dreaded straight sections. You might want to wire something new, but not present right now, into a pleasant form. (Essentially starting from zero.)

Before you do anything, dig in there and find the nebari which may govern where the best front has to be.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those particular buds don't look too healthy.

I think the least frustrating approach would be starting over with cuttings or layers. The underbase tapers in too quick, combined with graft, it may be futile trying to use it as is.

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Indeed. Graft looks dead and wood of main trunk from it is definitely dead and rotting. All leaves were to dry when I removed them as if tree was left without water. I'm hoping those buds will open up next year or that tree will be live in sections of its base.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Honestly-pretty sure the whole tree is dead man. What type of Maple is it?

Remove the main trunk that is rotting, if you can carve it down to where you see live/green cambium all around it, it may not be dead. If the cambium is yellowish/brown even around the base below the dead trunk, toss it. Already dead. Those black buds and the color of the new bark does not look good. When you scratch the branches are they green underneath?

Good luck!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Maple wood rots very quick so rarely features dead wood. I would get rid of dead section now so you can see the remaining trunks without the obstruction.
Multi trunk is challenging. many already know how difficult it can be to get a single trunk with all the branches and bends in desirable locations. Extra trunks just multiply those difficulties.
Front of a multi trunk is usually where the tallest, thickest trunk is closer to the centre with lesser trunks behind and to the sides.
The long internodes on those trunks are not desirable as you won't get buds so branches will be spaced far apart. That may be typical of the species or may just be from quick growth after the main trunk died.
Probably no really worth doing a lot with until you find out whether it is actually alive and what species it is.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try to scratch the bark and see if I see any green.
Not sure what type it is, but heres a picture when it had the leaves still on few weeks back. If those buds are alive are they supposed to still open this year still it do buds stay till next year usually.
I need to get it out of pot soil but if tree is already dead would be a waste of time to repot it and get no foliage.
Screenshot_20201020-173128_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20201020-173208_Chrome.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have a rule: Never throw away a tree until its been dead for 6 months. It doesn't always work out, but occasionally it saves me something. Meanwhile, I would seal every cut on any tree that had some kind of disease, assuming it was ever present on the bark and in the soil, lurking for a new entry into the heart of the wood. I use Elmer's wood glue which turns clear and works nicely for as long as it takes for the tree to close the wound.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try to scratch the bark and see if I see any green.
Not sure what type it is, but heres a picture when it had the leaves still on few weeks back. If those buds are alive are they supposed to still open this year still it do buds stay till next year usually.
I need to get it out of pot soil but if tree is already dead would be a waste of time to repot it and get no foliage.
View attachment 335628View attachment 335629
Not sure the variety... but it is not Japanese Maple, Trident or Amur... Deffinitely not a Rubrum... But it looks like it has long leaf nodes and large leaves- probably if anything it is a yard tree. May be suitable as a very large bonsai one day, but hard to tell from the pics. Got to get it healthy regardless!

Top Bottom