Advice needed for twin trunk air layer location.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I picked up 4 grafted Arakawa JM from an online dealer this winter. I plan to air layer all of them above the grafts, and I’d like to layer this one as a twin trunk.

I’m not familiar with how close to the bifurcation I should cut the bark ring (for a twin trunk). I’d like to get as close as possible.

Where would you cut? Will it cause a problem if I cut the ‘internode/bud scar’ at the base of the branches? I’d cut just above it if possible.

Thanks for the help.

(Sorry, I didn’t add an object for scale, these branches are about 1/4” diameter)

Attachments

• E75D2750-D498-420D-B4C5-260CF052100B.jpeg
    E75D2750-D498-420D-B4C5-260CF052100B.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 17

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd aim for what I have in the picture as where I'd remove bark and cambium.

You might not keep both trunks though. Too early to know for certain. Be open to single trunk. If you really want to try twin or multiple trunk, at least cut back on the trunks so they grow unequally.

Its easier to airlayer and get a multiple trunk later when they're bigger in my opinion. Or if ground layering. I ground layered some rough barks, one got sold when I wasn't around, and other I'm aiming for single trunk shohin instead.
20200309_221805.jpg

Note: these maples could root just from contact with moist spaghnum moss. Meaning you could get unwanted roots outside of the area you're wanting. Not a big problem, but be aware.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
cut back on the trunks so they grow unequally.

Thanks for the feedback, that’s all very helpful.

You marked where I was hoping I could cut. I wasn’t sure if the branch junction would cause trouble.

That was my exact plan regarding unequal growth. I’ve got some low branches to cut back to, just above the layer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think that's a bit too lose to the fork. It will certainly grow roots there. That's not the issue.
A twin trunk should start close to the ground but it should also look like a twin. I can see the layer as shown looking like 2 separate trees close together. I'd go 1/2 " below the fork - and strip the area between the 2 rings.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was my exact plan regarding unequal growth. I’ve got some low branches to cut back to, just above the layer.

Along with unequal thicknesses, should come unequal segment lengths.

Those 2 branches to cut back to are super equal. A bit less equal will be better.

I also like the lower cut. A bit of a "waist" is ok, and it should swell pretty well anyway.

Sorce

Top Bottom