Air layering

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello everyone.
I'm located in NJ
Back in mid May I proceeded with air layering a Trident maple. Today, upon closer inspection I see roots everywhere and I was wondering if I could cut the air layer off.
I know I'm supposed to wait until Fall, but by then roots will be bursting out of the wrap.

Please let me know.20180707_163219.jpg20180707_163932.jpg20180707_164113.jpg20180707_163939.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
waiting is not necessary, but is always the cautious option. I like to make sure the separated layer has 6 - 8 weeks before the first expected freeze. As long as you're careful with aftercare you can separate when roots are obvious and fibrous, like those you see.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep in min that healing ofr cuts is a lot faster on the original tree than on the layer. So .. assuming you do not want the whole branch.. Next time consider preparing the branch, cut back the year before, allowing for the cut area to partially be sealed off.

If you have a branch this thick, the roots you have there are relativelly few. If you have ht dry weather it might be good to reduce the foliage a bit before separating. (Although leaves & growth are needed to get this established !)

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve had very good luck with cutting the excess wood off and leaving it for a couple weeks to push a small amount of new leaves and then cutting the airlayer back. I have been doing just that in this thread: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/i-wanted-a-broom-so-i-cut-down-a-branch.34398/

My reasoning is that I am “repotting” my tree so I want a small amount of growth happening, just like in spring when you repot. The new growth needs very little roots to sustain them because they already have it, but will send the carbohydrates from photosynthesis (please fact check this because I might have my terms wrong) to build the roots. I’m trying to do the same thing mid season. Fortunately timing is less critical because you already have some untouched roots.

Does anyone have evidence for or against this thought process?

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Keep in min that healing ofr cuts is a lot faster on the original tree than on the layer. So .. assuming you do not want the whole branch.. Next time consider preparing the branch, cut back the year before, allowing for the cut area to partially be sealed off.

If you have a branch this thick, the roots you have there are relativelly few. If you have ht dry weather it might be good to reduce the foliage a bit before separating. (Although leaves & growth are needed to get this established !)
Very much this. I have quite a few trees I am preparing on the mother tree. I have been pruning some for almost five years now getting taper and movement in my trunk. It seems like it is going significantly faster then my trees on their own roots. The nice thing is, I get to do everything I normally would, wire, prune, stare for hours at it, etc as I would my potted trees, but none of the watering and our occasional 35° C+ heat isn’t a concern.

Top Bottom